Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need help with crappie fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need help with crappie fishing.

hey

im new to crappie fishing...i dont know very much about it....at a lake i fish someone told me where they were catching alot of crappie and how deep to fish...they said they were fishing 14 feet down....what is the best way to fish in this situation? what rod/reel setup would be best for this setup?...would one of those slip corks put at 14 feet be a good choice for this situation?

thanx

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

hey. if it was me, I'd try slip float and #2 gold or red hook with minnow. that's just my preference tho' if that didn't work try a jig or jig/minnow combination ...good luck

Post Thanks / Like

thanx for the quick reply....he was catching them on a chartruese jig

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Stumpy:

It's hard to beat a small live minnow under a slip-float. If you have it on a 10 to 12-foot jig pole in a rod holder you can fish a jig while you keep an eye on your float. Then whether they want a jig or a minnow you're ready for them!
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Stumpy -

Another good tip is to change depths to find the fish. If you know where they are, they shouldn't move very far off for the next few weeks. Stick with it and don't hesitate to changes depths or change from minnow to jig or jig to minnow. Switch it up until you find what works. But most important, try different depths. Good luck with em. CEB -

Post Thanks / Like

If I'm fish'n a hole that is not familar I typically drop down two lines off the front of the boat and troll slow(keep rods in hand) w/ chartruese colored horse head spinners. One clear the other pearl chartruese. I switch up the color on the heads. Then I'll drop minnows when I find'm. Works for me.
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

thanx for all of the replys....stumpbumpers when doing like you said do you move the lures any or do you just let the boat move the lures?...what is a horse head spinner? kinda like a road runner or something?....what kind of rod/reel should i buy? one of the shorter rods (5-6') or one of those really long rods?

thanx

Post Thanks / Like

Stumpy -

When trolling, you don't have to impart any additional movement to the lures. The slow forward movement of the lures and the slight rocking of the boat combine to give the lure enough action. Most people use different sized rods, depending on how many rods you are using. I guess a horse head spinner is the same thing as a pony head? http://www.basspro.com/servlet/catal...=SearchResults