Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trout help

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trout help

hey guys...sorry about the question...It's not about crappie......Do any of you Mo guys have any advise on how to catch trout on Tanycomo? I'm on the KS side now , but I'm wanting to pull the boat down thurs. and try the trout with a friend. Coming down for a golf tourney in the Branson area...any advise would be appreciated....troll? Baits? rigs? anything thank you

Speck is online now MO/MS Moderator and Fishing Legend * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Alot of the fish are hatchery raised. They are pretty easy to catch on just about anything. Drift worms or Power Bait along the bottom or cast Rooster Tails. Good luck

Crazy Angler Pro Staff
    Crappie Logic Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trout

If you want to catch big trout no matter what they are doing with the water. Go clear up to the dam and float a 100th ounce pink jig on an 8 foot leader, and just drift with the current. Trout either feed on the bottom or the surface and rarely in between. If you use an 8 foot leader, try to keep your boat drifting in 8 foot of water to keep the jig close to the bottom. Don't worry about the weight, I promise you it gets down. If they are running alot of water, keep your boat on the shallow side. This will typically work all day long, at least it has for me for 40 some years. Use a styrofoam strike indicator just above your leader knot. Good luck!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Both of those techniques work. I also like jerkin Rogues or other jerk baits.
    Jim - Have boat - will travel.

Post Thanks / Like

You might want to try some night fishing. It's been a long, long time ago, but we use to fish in the night using an ultra light spinning rod with a 1/64 oz brown or tan jigs with or without a lantern casting along the shorelines and mouths of creeks (especially creeks when they are running water). Try different approaches using the jig. Sometimes a slow steady retrieve would work best. Brown trout seem to want to dive deeper when hooked.

Most of my experience was down from Fall Creek to across from the School of The Ozarks.

Be safe and find out where the shallow bars run and how to avoid them.

Post Thanks / Like

all of the above tactics work and you must be prepared to try everything depending on water conditions. If they are not running water in the am go just down from fall creek trout dock in 3-4 ft of water and drop anchor start chumming corn. use 4lb or less line down this for 30 yrs garunteed! 1-2 kernals on an egg hook 1/8 oz split shot. all the other boats will be catching a few but you will blow them away. nice fish you can cull and keep a limit of 14-16 inchers. Good luck

Post Thanks / Like

huntcaptn- Check this site out...

OzarkAnglers.Com Forum

Post Thanks / Like

leadshot posted a great website full of useful information...if you plan on fishing above Fall Creek (trophy area with slot limit and artificial bait only)...also docking a boat with water running can be a adventure, check out utube for some docking advice...Taney is a awsome trout fishery and wonderful place to go. Enjoy and have a blast

Post Thanks / Like

We've done fairly well in the past drifting scuds under a strike indicator about 5 or 6 feet deep in the half mile or so below the dam. Some big fish up there. Good luck.
    We do not want the gift of a fish; neither do we expect a lesson on fishing; what we direly need is a chance to fish

Post Thanks / Like

I would not "cull" if I was fishing. Culling in most books means placing the fish in the livewell then if you catch a larger fish later, you return the first fish to the water and keep the second. First Trout die easily, secondly I (can't swear to it but) think that culling is listed in the Mo. reg book as a no-no. There are always Mr. Green Jeans around at Taneycomo. Either way; Just saying...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast