PDA

View Full Version : i pilot question

crappie josh
08-15-2010, 08:56 AM
i have a motorguied pro series 46 lbs thrust on my bass tracker PT 170tx
i know very little about the ipilot trolling motor i know that you buy a mini kota PowerDrive V2 or the Terrova then you buy the Ipilot to go on top of that but do i also need a GPS unit on my boat? and is there any thing else i need to know about and also on my boat my trolling motor uses 1 battery and i would like to stay with 1 battery but i would like to go up in thrust what is the biggest LBS thrust i can go with and still only use 1 battery

Barnacle Bill
08-15-2010, 09:05 AM
There are several different Minnkotas that can be bought with the i-Pilot already installed or can be added. You do not need a GPS for them to operate. You can go up to 55lbs thrust and remain on 12V or one battery. IF you go higher than that then you get into 24 and 36 volt systems.

feelay
08-15-2010, 09:08 AM
The I-pilot is a gps in itself, no need for anything additional. For 12v (1 battery) the Terrova and V2 both come in 55lb thrust, anything over that will be 24v.

crappie josh
08-15-2010, 09:27 AM
what one is better? the Terrova or the V2?

"G"
08-15-2010, 09:28 AM
Terrova is the best.

beagle man
08-15-2010, 09:33 AM
I have had both and the terrova is by far my favorite.

feelay
08-15-2010, 09:56 AM
Terrova

wilbur
08-15-2010, 10:35 AM
I got the V2 55 and i like it. Never had a terrova or fished with one. I know the v2 is about 300 cheaper. Works for me.

skeetbum
08-15-2010, 10:48 AM
My understanding is that there are options on the terrova that aren't on the V2. If I were to bite the bullet, it would be the Terrova. Trolling and electronics and such use lots of power. A 55lb will work on 1-12volt battery, but for longer or higher use days you might consider using 2 batteries connected parallel. They can be smaller marine deep cycle batts instead of the big uns. You'll never run low on motor juice, and the gps will not suffer from diminished power and act goofy. Just my opinion. I had a 40lb power drive on an aluminum boat and it would run low by days end just trolling. Yours will be more powerful and have a gps to power. Good luck with your choice.

Gansett
08-15-2010, 12:02 PM
I bought the V2 and think I made a mistake. You cannot use your foot pedal with the V2 when you add the I-pilot. However, with the Terova you can use both.

ScottV
08-15-2010, 12:16 PM
I have the powerdrive 24v with 2 of the smaller deep cycle batteries hooked in series. I can only get 3 1/2 to 4 hrs. of trolling time out of my batteries. I'm thinking of changing to the big deep cycle batteries and keep my old ones in there somewhere with a switch to go to them. I have found out that the built-in transducer is junk. Even when it's working, the sonar unit will not pick up fish. I switched to a Lowrance transducer and couldn't believe the difference. Of course I have a heavy boat and usually have 3 people fishing so it drains my batteries pretty fast.

blueball
08-15-2010, 02:12 PM
I bought the V2 and think I made a mistake. You cannot use your foot pedal with the V2 when you add the I-pilot. However, with the Terova you can use both.

after canepole installing his multiplexer on my boat you can use your footpedal with the powerdrive with ipilot installed:p

crappie josh
08-15-2010, 02:25 PM
so what all would i need to buy in order to use the Ipilot cause i think i might end up selling my exesting trolling motor and buying a Terrova and use an Ipilot on my boat?

ReelfootYankee
08-15-2010, 06:33 PM
after canepole installing his multiplexer on my boat you can use your footpedal with the powerdrive with ipilot installed:pWhat if you can not get one of them as i dont think that Minn. k. dont market it?

feelay
08-15-2010, 06:52 PM
so what all would i need to buy in order to use the Ipilot cause i think i might end up selling my exesting trolling motor and buying a Terrova and use an Ipilot on my boat?

All you have to buy is a Terrova and an i-pilot.

The Shootist
08-15-2010, 06:54 PM
I have a terrova 55 and added I pilot before they were building them together and I love it. It is 12 volt and have never run out of battery, I think they are alot more efficient than the older ones.I didnt get the built in tranduser but mounting an external isnt a problem just check out the electronics thread here.I use the foot pedal when bass fishing or justb pick up the remote and pull a track and take off. They are great units but dont expect alot out of the spot lock feature sometime it forgets how far 5 feet is but it better than an anchor.

captcall
08-15-2010, 07:02 PM

You ought to give Cane Pole a holler about that Gansett, he can fix that problem for you.

Chuck Haley
08-15-2010, 07:02 PM
I have a terrova 55 and added I pilot before they were building them together and I love it. It is 12 volt and have never run out of battery, I think they are alot more efficient than the older ones.I didnt get the built in tranduser but mounting an external isnt a problem just check out the electronics thread here.I use the foot pedal when bass fishing or justb pick up the remote and pull a track and take off. They are great units but dont expect alot out of the spot lock feature sometime it forgets how far 5 feet is but it better than an anchor.

I have a Terrova 55 with the I pilot. I have trolled for 6-7 hours consistately and have never used up my battery. I keep my batteries plug up to the charger 24/7. Good luck, but the Terrova is the best I have ever had.

feelay
08-15-2010, 07:06 PM
I have a Terrova 55 with the I pilot. I have trolled for 6-7 hours consistately and have never used up my battery. I keep my batteries plug up to the charger 24/7. Good luck, but the Terrova is the best I have ever had.

As long as you're not pulling cranks, you should be ok on battery life. I can pull at almost 2mph for 5 to 6 hours with my 80lb Terrova on an 18 ft aluminum boat. I have never run out of juice slow trolling or verticle jigging.

blueball
08-15-2010, 09:10 PM
What if you can not get one of them as i dont think that Minn. k. dont market it?

canepole will fix u up if u really want one:rolleyes:

OkieDon
08-15-2010, 11:36 PM
I bought a Terrova last year Josh. Loved it until the remote went out and the TM tried to screw itself through my boat, ripping cables loose as it did.

Minn Kota customer service really sucked. Wouldn't send me a new remote, saying I had to go through one of their ASC. It's been over 3 months and I'm still waiting on a new remote....:(

feelay
08-16-2010, 08:08 AM
I bought a Terrova last year Josh. Loved it until the remote went out and the TM tried to screw itself through my boat, ripping cables loose as it did.

Minn Kota customer service really sucked. Wouldn't send me a new remote, saying I had to go through one of their ASC. It's been over 3 months and I'm still waiting on a new remote....:(

You shoulda went to an ASC. Had the same problem with mine, went to the ASC, got a new remote on the spot.

OkieDon
08-16-2010, 10:36 PM
Feelay, I did go to an ASC after Minn Kota refused to help. The ASC didn't even look at the motor, he just said he'd order me a new one. It's been over 3 months and every week like clock work I call and ask if the new remote came in. He says "Nope, they didn't send it this week".

As I understand it, MK is behind in their RC orders, but this is getting downright freakin' ridiculous!

ReelfootYankee
08-18-2010, 06:06 PM
canepole will fix u up if u really want one:rolleyes:Thank's Blue Ball,Iam going to have to ask him no doubt,He seems to be a nice grey haired old timer:rolleyes:!
and has the best input! :)