Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need advice about transducer on the trolling motor

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need advice about transducer on the trolling motor

Most of the directions I've seen that come with the bracket to mount the transducer on the bowmount trolling motor show it attached to the motor housing like in the first attached image - with the transducer ahead of the lower fin and prop.

But the fin on the Minn Kota Power Drive is at the front, so the transducer has to be mounted between the fin and the prop - like in the second attached image.

#1 - does mounting the transducer to a Minn Kota Power Drive present any special problems?

#2 - is there a problem mounting the transducer between the fin and the prop like in the second attached image?

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Regards,
    Rowland

Post Thanks / Like

just mounted mine on tm yesterday and took it out today, it worked great. i loved haveing the view from the front of the boat where the fishing is done. i dont have the powerdrive unit but there shouldent be anyproblem.

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Right now I have mine like pic #2. Unforunately there is no nice neat way to route the wire up because of the type mount I have.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I have a bracket that attaches to the shaft and has the transducer above the motor, sticks out to the side. I think is was called a Johnny Reb bracket, have had it for about 25 years, don't know if you can even find them any more but I'll try to take a photo of it tomorrow if you might like to try and make one. Minn Kota has a picture like the # 2 one I remember from somewhere.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

howdy; mine is like photo #2. works fine. tarfu

Post Thanks / Like

I got a unit I made portable. Call me silly, I just drop the trans over the front. Stays straight and level. Fix'n to invest in one 'dim stick things u can turn up sideways, it clamps on. Plus i like dropping my trans widout dropping the motor. Sorry I can't help, but I don't see where there would be a problem on your mount. Specially if you aren't running in reverse.
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stumpbumpers
    I got a unit I made portable. Call me silly, I just drop the trans over the front. Stays straight and level. Fix'n to invest in one 'dim stick things u can turn up sideways, it clamps on. Plus i like dropping my trans widout dropping the motor. Sorry I can't help, but I don't see where there would be a problem on your mount. Specially if you aren't running in reverse.
    The problem with dropping the transducer over the side is you won't get an accurate reading as to where the fish are. Having it mounted on a fixed motor you know the fish are directly under the motor and can place your jig or minnow accordingly. Having it loose in the water it can and will move around and gives off a false reading as to where the fish actually are. It doesn't take much movement to give off mis-information and depth readings. Knowing the depth of the fish in relation to the bottom and structure is very important in your presentation.
    It doesn't matter on the motor where you mount the transducer as long as it point straight down.
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

I made my own from bits and pieces from the hardware store. It attaches to the shaft and rides to the side of the motor. I don't notice any drag or anything from it. I agree with Beav about having it under the trolling motor. It gives a good reference point.---Pooch

Post Thanks / Like

Your right 'bout it mov'n, but I only use in for structure not fish. Half the time it stays in the truck.
    I like findn'm the old fashioned way, little dab here little dab there. I use my other depth finder to mark the GPS on hot spots. Fish'n to me is fun catch'n's a bonus. Plus I keep a freezer full of fillets. Saltwater, freshwater, so mostly I get a quick picture and release. I need to find some to post. In the middle of moving though. All in a box in one three storage places. Oh, bother
    Last edited by stumpbumpers; 01-29-2006 at 01:15 AM.
    This only my opinion, but nothing you can say will change my mind. That makes it a FACT.

Today is a Blessed Day and a Prosperous Day

Post Thanks / Like

Both will work, my first trolling motor was like #2, my one now is like #1. I wish the new one was like #2, i felt that it somewhat protected it from stumps. I have yet to have a problem after 2 year so it may not be that big of a deal.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast