Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Boat trailer bunks--Replacement

Post Thanks / Like

Question Boat trailer bunks--Replacement

Hey guy.. I'm getting ready to replace my bunks.
    They are 7 years old and 2X6 carpet covered wood.

I have heard of the "ultimate bunk boards".
    Ideal for Boat Lifts !

Have any of you tried them?

The main thing I heard is -- Make sure you have your boat / trailer in the water before you unhook your boat...And make sure your boat is hooked up and pulled up in plsce before you pull your boat out of the water..

http://www.ultimatebunkboards.com/faq.html

Thanks, Rick
    Take a kid fishing--even a old kid

Post Thanks / Like

HaleDamage-Would also like any comments on the bunks. Bought a Tracker 17 foot pro crappie rig this spring and being retired is pretty good job loading and unloading. Son (24yr. old) and I manage pretty well but going by myself and wife would be little tough. Been awhile since had a larger boat so still getting the hang of getting boat in and out. Sounds like it would make it a little easier.
    Thanks for posting the link and hope some of CDCers can post some info.
    Sure is a lots of info from the guys and gals on the site.

Post Thanks / Like

BumpBump, Replaced my bunks couple weeks ago on my Tracter trailer, easy, wish I would of checkout using the plastic composite material used on outdoor decks. I just raised the back of the boat in the garage and slid the old bunks out and the new bunks in. Three leg screws on each bunk.

Post Thanks / Like

Hale,

Just this week had to replace a bunk on my tracker 165. After seeing what they wanted for the precarpeted bunks....50.00 for 2, I went to lowes for a $5.87 redwood 8' 2x4, and bass pro for a 12.00 piece of bunk carpet. At BP I bought a 30.00 set of bunk sliders. These are hard teflon coated 12" or so 8 piece set that screw on top of the bunks. Same thing here, have to leave boat attached to winch prior to gettin it in the water. I'll probably shoot that rascal into the bed on the truck loadin it..:D. Anyway, all done for less than they wanted for 2 bunks. I'll let you know how it works.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Meeder View Post
    BumpBump, Replaced my bunks couple weeks ago on my Tracter trailer, easy, wish I would of checkout using the plastic composite material used on outdoor decks. I just raised the back of the boat in the garage and slid the old bunks out and the new bunks in. Three leg screws on each bunk.
    I think I'll lanch my boat --then work on the bunks,,The 115hp 4 stroke is 400# by itself..
    Still not sure what I'm going to do yet...
    Here is a e-mail from Joe at ultimate bunk boards

"Our boards are made from 100% hi-density extruded polyethylene plastic and weigh nearly 3 lbs. per foot.
    Although they are not as rigid as a wood board they are very strong.
    In using them as trailer bunks, what is important is the distance between mounting brackets. For the 2x6 boards, when the brackets are 72" or less apart, our boards work very well.
    "

Rick
    Take a kid fishing--even a old kid

Post Thanks / Like

I have the same setup as slab trackin...just keep that puppy winched on till you get down by the water...but it makes it easy for that boat to come of the trailer and slide on. I couldn't raise it off the trailer so I went to a small lake and unloaded the boat and put new ones on and then put the boat back on the trailer. Worked pretty well and stayed ot of peoples way.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, big difference with those sliders on top of the bunks. Boat slid up on the trailer as slick as can be. Ever since I saw a gal take off too soon and dump her hubbys boat on the ramp; I leave mine hooked up till I'm in the water.

Post Thanks / Like

Also just make sure if someone is pulling you out you hook her up...I used to be pulled right out before the slicks...tried that the first time and it was the last .

Post Thanks / Like