PDA

View Full Version : noodlin' on cypress

docwaldo
08-12-2010, 10:24 PM
think i'm gonna throw out some noodles tomorrow evening/night on cypress. anyone have any infor for me?? anyone know of a spot that i can catch some shad with a throw net out there?? i think i am gonna be just north of the beach if anyone wants to come join me. i've got plenty of noodles.

doc :)

Freebird87
08-13-2010, 06:58 AM
Doc,
Daughter's Birthday today, so I don't think I'm going to be able to make it. I also have a speaking engagement tomorrow morning, so I need to get my beauty sleep! Hope it goes well, I'll call you today.

I did catch some small shad on Cypress over by the dam by the water outlet, even though no water was flowing...

I did catch several cats on cut shiners, though.

docwaldo
08-13-2010, 11:19 PM
well, we only caught one fish tonite, but boy was she a hawg. i bet she will go 20 pounds. she is in an icechest, i will weigh and clean her tomorrow morning. the dang wind would not lay down, so out noodles were scattered probably 3/4 of a mile across the lake. it was just too difficult to monitor them all. so we just picked them up and came home.

had fun, at least the wind kept the bugs off.

will post a pic tomorrow

jlaughlin72
08-13-2010, 11:43 PM
Hey Doc, there is a lake about 30-35 miles south of where I live that is loaded with catfish, but it is bad for the wind. What they are doing there is to tie a brick to the bottom of the jugline and then tie a drop loop at whatever depth they are wanting to fish. This helps to keep the jugs from floating all over the lake. Congrats on the big one.

thudpucker
08-13-2010, 11:52 PM
Noodles???
Do you mean similar to Spaghetti noodles?
Is that a form of "Sugar Sack" that will attract and hold bait fish?

electrik chicken
08-14-2010, 10:44 AM
Noodles???
Do you mean similar to Spaghetti noodles?
Is that a form of "Sugar Sack" that will attract and hold bait fish?

NO NO NO Go to the catfish page and look at the noodle threads. I could explain but its time check the grill!!!

docwaldo
08-14-2010, 02:03 PM
here is the big girl. she is in the freezer as we speak. don't know why the pic is so small. i took it with my phone??

http://i138.photobucket.com/albums/q270/docwaldo/tn.jpg

bassadict69
08-16-2010, 07:36 PM
Hey Doc, next time you noodle Cypress in the summer, hit either one end of the lake or the other!

On one end, go past the spillway, past the condos to where it starts shallowing up & throw the noodles there. You will be about in front of the last few boathouses. We do good there in the summer, late evenings & at night.

On the other end, launch at the 162 bridge & drop your noodles from the bridge out toward the main lake. We usually do better there from just before daylight until around 10am or the heat runs us off.

bassadict69
08-16-2010, 07:37 PM
Great fish, by the way!

docwaldo
08-16-2010, 08:34 PM
Hey Doc, next time you noodle Cypress in the summer, hit either one end of the lake or the other!

On one end, go past the spillway, past the condos to where it starts shallowing up & throw the noodles there. You will be about in front of the last few boathouses. We do good there in the summer, late evenings & at night.

On the other end, launch at the 162 bridge & drop your noodles from the bridge out toward the main lake. We usually do better there from just before daylight until around 10am or the heat runs us off.

thanks BA, we threw ours just north of the beach, passt the dog leg. the wind scattered them so dang bad it was just frustrating. but now i know the "hot spots". hehehe

green shiner
08-16-2010, 10:21 PM
Doc, sound like yall had fun.
Yall musta didnt spit on your hook! LoL!

green shiner
08-16-2010, 10:23 PM
Hey Doc, there is a lake about 30-35 miles south of where I live that is loaded with catfish, but it is bad for the wind. What they are doing there is to tie a brick to the bottom of the jugline and then tie a drop loop at whatever depth they are wanting to fish. This helps to keep the jugs from floating all over the lake. Congrats on the big one.

Johnny,
My dad gave me the perfect device that your talking about.
It was sent to me this weekend from my uncle JC.
He lives in Marksville and fished Spring Bayou.
Will post pic tommorrow.

docwaldo
08-17-2010, 08:58 PM

HEY BA, how deep do you normally run your lines on your noodles??

bassadict69
08-21-2010, 04:22 PM
four maybe five feet is all...we use about a 1oz weight tied to the bottom of the line.

bassadict69
08-21-2010, 04:23 PM
thanks BA, we threw ours just north of the beach, passt the dog leg. the wind scattered them so dang bad it was just frustrating. but now i know the "hot spots". hehehe

We seem to do the best out there in shallower areas or at least in water that is really close to some shallow water.

thudpucker
08-21-2010, 06:34 PM
Over here in a Clear water resivour, I just use Plastic jugs.
A small weight to hold the hook down, and just let the Cat try to drowned that Jug till he get's tired.

I went to the site and watched the Noodle guy's movie. Pretty good looking stuff.

Charliee
08-22-2010, 08:18 PM
All this noodle talk has got me wanting to try it. So this afternoon I went to WalMart, Lowes and to the dollar store in search of materials to make noodles with.
Managed to find everything I think I need for the project. I did notice that since its the end of the summer, the store were trying to get rid of their noodles. So if you want to make yourself some you better hurry. I hope to try them up at Hosston next month when it cools off a little.

Charliee
08-24-2010, 07:17 PM
Well I now have five noodles made. Tomorrow I will get the stuff to make seven more to give me an even dozen. I am planning to go to the bayou on Friday afternoon and try them out. I need my fishing fix.

jlaughlin72
08-24-2010, 09:00 PM
Well I now have five noodles made. Tomorrow I will get the stuff to make seven more to give me an even dozen. I am planning to go to the bayou on Friday afternoon and try them out. I need my fishing fix.

Charlie, good luck with them.. I have a buddy that runs them and when we go out, we usually set about 150. It's alot of work but alot of fun. Bout the time you get them all set out, it's time to check them.

Charliee
08-28-2010, 04:37 PM
Well I went to the camp at Hosston yesterday and managed to set out a dozen noodles. I used weenies soaked in garlic powder for bait. Left them out overnight. Caught one small willow cat and nothing else. However all the bait was gone off the hooks. I think part of my problem was that I was fishing too deep. The lake is way down and grass is thick. Where I fished was abut 5 feet deep but plenty of grass in it. I fished about three and a half feet down. I think I should have been a foot higher. Next time I will shorten my line some and misht try some frozen shad for bait.

thudpucker
08-28-2010, 07:36 PM
Try letting the weight down into the grass, but use a leader and put a Marshmellow on the hook so it will float up above the grass.

southernslabs
08-28-2010, 11:57 PM
My experience with catfish. Obviously our water is much shallower in south la compared to lakes etc so things will vary but here is two points.

When we fish jugs(noodles) most of ours for years we have always had two hooks on one about12-18 inches deep other about 3 feet deep. at least 80 percent of the fish are caught on the shallower hook. Although catfish do live on the bottom they do tend to do a lot of there feeding near the surface as that is where a lot of the food source is located.(at least in our area)

Secondly we fish limb lines a lot in water that os 3-5 feet deep and catch all of these fish not deeper than 2 feet deep

Just my thoughts

Try some jugs at different depths to see what works best in your area

jig rig
08-29-2010, 08:58 AM
and pick up your jugs, noodles, limb lines when your done.

Jig Rig