Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fort Loramie Blue/green algae

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Fort Loramie Blue/green algae

I saw on my local news tonight that there are reports of the same type of algae blooming in Loramie that has killed off St. Marys. The state is testing to be sure (results will be known next week) The lake is still open but the news said to use it at your own risk.

Post Thanks / Like

I just read that in the Dayton paper.
    Here's a link; Algae outbreak on Lake Loramie in Shelby County under investigation
    Sent from the voices in my head and transcribed by their drinking buddy

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by krs2fer View Post
    I just read that in the Dayton paper.
    Here's a link; Algae outbreak on Lake Loramie in Shelby County under investigation
    I just saw that on OGF
    Hey Speckwick.....didn't you predict this, it looks like maybe you were right. What a shame.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm. What are the common denominators? Extensive farming on main and/ or feeder waterways? Over developement on/ or very close to lake? No municipal sewage treatment in surrounding developed areas? Regular inspections required of septic systems that are within 2000` of watersheads and/ or lake? Extensive use of lawn fertilizers and/ or weed killers on said residences? Unfortunately we humans are obviously only beginning to understand when we allow UNTREATED RUNOFF to enter waterways in large quantities we are potentailly polluting what ever is down stream and that SOME of the chemicals are EXTREMELY LONG LIVED and especially so if they leech into submerged sediments, slowly building up over yrs. HOPEFULLY it is a temperary problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Indian will be infected next.

Unthinking people with unclean boats will spread the algae just like they have the zebra mussels, vms, and asian carp

Post Thanks / Like

You are unfortnately correct. Plus other underlying problems that over time and particularly in the heat of July and August can literarly shift the chemical balance of a given body of water, especially with a prolonged absence of any real wind to adegetate and shift water around to even a small degree- conditions for the classic summer kill off of all but the cats and perch and killyfish and maybe smaller carp. Water like GLSM NE shore. Hopefully won`t get quite to that, sir.

Post Thanks / Like

They have had warnings posted twice this summer at Loramie, but only for a couple days at a time and then the levels go down. Loramie won't get as bad as St. Marys because they are always dredging the lake. Also Loramie is a much smaller lake with a flow through of probably 1/20 of the time of St Marys.

There is the same problems at Loramie though due to the farm run off on the NE end of the lake into the incoming river... This past month that river has looked like green soup, similar to St Marys....SAD!

Post Thanks / Like

Am not exactly sure but looking at a map of the lake seems like close? to same outflow, GSLM obviosly much larger- how many acres of surface area? Depth of lake? How much developement and how close to inlet of lake? Also orientation of lake to predominate winds can play a critical role as is a prolonged ABSENCE of those same winds. HOPEFULLY a temperary situation.

Post Thanks / Like

FORT LORAMIE - Following reports of a blue-green scum forming on Lake Loramie, officials at three state agencies on Thursday urged people and pets visiting Lake Loramie State Park in Shelby County to avoid contact with surface scum at the lake, limit their contact with lake water and avoid ingesting lake water pending the state's ongoing investigation.

Officials at the Ohio Department of Natural Resources, Ohio Environmental Protection Agency and Ohio Department of Health said water samples were collected from Lake Loramie and are being analyzed to determine if algal toxins are present. A full analysis of the samples should be available next week.

Lake Loramie State Park remains open to visitors. People recreating in Lake Loramie should use similar precautions as they would in any nonchlorinated surface water.

Lake Loramie joins Grand Lake St. Marys experiencing agal problems. Earlier this summer, officials warned people to stay out of the lake because of algal blooms.

Additional harmful algal blooms (HAB) information and data is available online at:

Harmful Algal Blooms

Harmful Algal Blooms

Harmful Algal Blooms: Cyanobacteria: Cyanobacteria and CyanoHABs Facts | CDC HSB

Additional information about Lake Loramie State Park is available online at ODNR Ohio State Parks - Lake Loramie State Park.

Post Thanks / Like

JMK, I think you should just move to Grenada!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast