Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Pulling cranks

Post Thanks / Like

Default Pulling cranks

As hot as it's been, a friend wants to go out and try pulling cranks tomorrow. I usually troll with bandits or wiggle warts but have not been out since early June.
    Any HOT tips for this warm weather. We will be fishing around the 24mm early am. Thought I would try in about 20 feet of water near dropoffs.
    Any thoughts from you trollers out there?

Husker
    the trick to catch that finnicky speck....
    gently set the hook just before the peck

Post Thanks / Like

I have had a lot of luck over 25' to 35' kind of pulling. I am finding the fish on points where a creek and the main channel meet about 12' to 15' down. I am using an 3/4 egg sinker with a swivel and about 30" in. leader going about 1.6 to 1.8 mph this way I have only about 20' of line out to get about 12' deep. I am fishing about where the big Niangua and little Niangua meet up. I have only been doing this for about six or seven weeks and it has really been working for me. I have done well I think, but I am happy with a few fish in the boat. There were two times when I really got in to them and caught my limit.

Post Thanks / Like

We pushed/pulled bandit 300's on the main lake yesterday and found fish in the same areas Jim did,the only difference was our fish were 15'-18' down,early in the day our 2 down rods with 2oz sinkers were producing the most fish but as the day wore on the long lines out the back seemed to produce the most fish,hope for cloud cover when a cloud bank would roll through we would catch several fish and as soon as the sun came out we would go a while without a bite we even tried to go a bit deeper when the sun was out but they were still slow.We took limits to a friend that was fish hungry,the fish we caught wasn't anything special just good solid eaters 10"-12" fish with a few white bass,catfish and bass thrown in it was a fun day.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Jigging15 is offline Moderator MO OT and MO Tournaments * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Jamie how fast you trolling and are you using the big motor or trolling motor? I have started pushing Bandits out the front but have to upgrade my lowrance to GPS so i can see my speed. Never needed it while spider rigging jigs or minnows. But it seems to be more important when using cranks.

Kyle Schoenherr is offline Crappie Wall Hanger II * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Dont mean to ask a dumb question, but what lake are you guys trolling cranks on?

www.AllSeasonsCrappieFishing.com - 2x National Champion
    B'n'M Pro Staff - Road Runner Pro Staff - Lowrance Pro Staff - Tru Turn Pro Staff
    Harvest Clean Pro Staff - Midsouth Pro Staff - Titelok Pro Staff - Engels Pro Staff
    CrappieNow - Rend Lake Resort - Kinkaid Sportsman Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

Any lake that has a population of white crappie, can be trolled for.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys for the replies. We went out this morning, trolled for about 2 hours, pulling mostly wiggle warts and bandits. Had some success with a deep-running red imitation crawfish. Probably caught 15 or 20, kept 10. We fished in 30 to 55 feet of water, probably running 12 to 18 feet deep. Best action was on darker cranks.

I used to fish the area Jim fishes when we lived close to that location. That is a good area for crappie and catfish.

How do you rig the heavy sinkers to your crankbaits and what cranks/colors have you had good luck on?

Husker
    the trick to catch that finnicky speck....
    gently set the hook just before the peck

Post Thanks / Like

I rig mine above about three feet ahead of a swivel and bead.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kyle Schoenherr View Post
    Dont mean to ask a dumb question, but what lake are you guys trolling cranks on?
    Lake of the Ozarks, Kyle.

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jigging15 View Post
    Jamie how fast you trolling and are you using the big motor or trolling motor? I have started pushing Bandits out the front but have to upgrade my lowrance to GPS so i can see my speed. Never needed it while spider rigging jigs or minnows. But it seems to be more important when using cranks.
    1.7 to 1.9 produced all our bites anything faster or slower the bites tapered off,we used the big motor and pulled a couple buckets to keep us at our desired speed but next trip we're gonna put the i pilot back on my buddy's boat.

Quote Originally Posted by CrappieHusker View Post
    Thanks guys for the replies. We went out this morning, trolled for about 2 hours, pulling mostly wiggle warts and bandits. Had some success with a deep-running red imitation crawfish. Probably caught 15 or 20, kept 10. We fished in 30 to 55 feet of water, probably running 12 to 18 feet deep. Best action was on darker cranks.

I used to fish the area Jim fishes when we lived close to that location. That is a good area for crappie and catfish.

How do you rig the heavy sinkers to your crankbaits and what cranks/colors have you had good luck on?

Husker
    I rig mine like swampy with a 2oz sinker,the best colors were chrome/blue back and pink.I don't fish like that too often but its something different and effective this time of year.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast