Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: gonna try trolling sorta

Post Thanks / Like

Default gonna try trolling sorta

tomoro me n my dad are goin to hit a lake we go to a lot.crappies will probly be not easy to find.we don't have sonar or any electronics.i do know roughly where the deep places are at this lake,i even put a map on my phone of it lol.i plan on bringing like 3 or 4 rods,one is my tiny flyrod.i figure when we are moving over deep areas i will drop down a rig i made with a sinking crankbait and one of my jigs.the baits are on 2 snaps,crank bait on the bottom snap and jig on the top.i really hope i get some results with this.other than here and there,i can have some trouble finding them this time of year.usualy not hard to get into bluegills and other fish.anyone got any ideas i should try?i can also tip the jig with gulp alive fish fry baits i have or power bait honey worms.

Post Thanks / Like

I dont know what you mean by trolling. I row, no motor at all.
    When I 'troll' I put out two lines. One out each direction from the stern.

I have a Fish Finder, so I can avoid some snagging by picking up a line or both as I go up onto a shallower spot.

Without that, you'll get snagged a lot, and its a mess with two guys in the boat and the motor chugging along.

I'm just guessing at what to use, but those Road Runners or some other spoon or spinner are hard to beat for locating fish.
    I just wish I could be better at fishing. Or maybe luckier!:D

Post Thanks / Like

Trolling or fishing blind (without sonar) is tough and usually unproductive.

Fishing visible structure (weeds, docks, and fallen trees) would be your best bet.

You should really consider investing in a small sonar unit, it'll open up a lot more fishing opportunities for you.

Post Thanks / Like

i didn't end up getting anything at all with the thing i was "trolling" with.i figured i would have that and just drop it down when we were over deep water.it was 100% trolling fishing trip or anything.we always fish around visable structure around the shore that we can see.here's some fish pics of that trip was still nice august11 | Facebook .i had a huge crappie,but it got off the hook,was a monster too!had plenty of fun throwin strike king bitsy pond minnow tiny crankbait in firetiger color.gills,bass,and pumkinseeds hit that thing good.i lost some other fish on that crank bait.one of the best 3$ or so i ever spent lol

Post Thanks / Like

No sonar you for sure need to take some buoys to throw over if you get bit and that way you can pass over the same spot over and over. I find they don't stop biting if trolling a fairly short path (say 50 yards at most and probably 20 yards minimum +-) where if you hold on top of the fish my history says you catch a few and wait when they stop for a little while. Then they may start again where trolling I usually don't have that problem and can keep going over and over them. I do admit that I usually have a spot where the distance from one end to the other there will be several places along that path that are holding fish and you bet bit most passes.

Don't know about your lake, but here most of the time the crappie will hold at something like 12'-14' in water depth of 20'-35'. SO it's not like you need to get close to the bottom for hits and all you need is that 10'-14' down.

Good luck and let us know how you do,

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!