Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: The BIGGEST advantage to GPS....safety...

Post Thanks / Like

Default The BIGGEST advantage to GPS....safety...

Man, we ran out the other day and it was so foggy you couldn't see the bow. Well, I turned on the GPS and told it I wanted to head for an area I knew would be away from shore then make my turn and head up the lake. Well, The GPS, made the track, IN A STRAIGHT LINE SO BE CAREFUL HERE, and hsd me underway with confidence. I'm going to go mark the known channel makers, etc that way next time it's foggy I can use them as points to get to, etc.

Post Thanks / Like

can get you home as well - if the tides don't change on you and there ain't no water where you just came through
    with my mind on crappie and crappie on my mind -
    and if ya'll see Goober later tellem I said duh huh - he'll know what ya mean!!!!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

GPS won't keep you from running into another boat that is out there doing the same thing though - need radar for that.

You can also save a "Track" from where you put in to areas you fish regularly on a clear day and then follow that track forward or backward in the fog or dark.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fog and GPS

To me a GPS is a must on a boat. My friend and I used one to navigate down a creek for about 5 miles out to the river channel. We were fishing in a tournament in Nashville last fall. The creek was about 50 yds wide and you couldn't see either bank because of the fog.