Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OK, Maybe this is a stupid question......

Post Thanks / Like

Default OK, Maybe this is a stupid question......

I'm pretty unfamiliar with pushing/pulling jigs but.............here is the question

it seems to me that the weight should be above the jigs, not below. Is there any compelling reason for the weight to be under the jig?

Post Thanks / Like

I think if you are pushing then the weight should be under the jig and if you are pulling there should be no weight at all unless you are in deeper water.

Post Thanks / Like

I forgot to say there is never a stupid question, the only stupid question is the one you don't ask.

Show Low, Az in summer Tonto Basin Az winter
    Post Thanks / Like

I have been reading up on 'jig pushing' and plan to try it when I return to my winter digs.
    It seems the pushers use 2-5 ozs. of weight, so by default the weight will be below the bait.

Post Thanks / Like

check out the pulling crank 101 on the mississippi board

Post Thanks / Like

does anyone think the weight below the jigs catches more fish? if so why?.

recently I have used a snap swivel attached to a casting sinker and also attach a 4 ft leader to the same swivel. this makes for an easy way to rig up / break down. the question is will the sinker above the bait adversely affect the presentation?

Post Thanks / Like

This is the rig I use when I'm spider-rigging, I guess you can call it pushing a jig, but I'm moving very slowly not anywhere near the speed of pushing crank baits. That is a doubled rubber band pulled thru the weight so you can adjust the length above your jig. I have tried the weight below, Kentucky rig as some call it, but I like it above better.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

The reason that we rig the weight below the jig is to feel the bottom without letting the jig hit bottom. In 15 to 20 feet of water, we use a 2 oz. weight about a foot below the jig. The distance that the jig is above the weight depends on where the fish are holding, some say they are using the weight as much as 8 to 10 feet below the jig. Just bounce the weight along the bottom and the jig bobs along at one to ten feet above the bottom. This is what I'm told by fishing friends. I don't employ the push method, I just tie a jig on the end of the line and catch fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JBledsoe View Post

The reason that we rig the weight below the jig is to feel the bottom without letting the jig hit bottom. In 15 to 20 feet of water, we use a 2 oz. weight about a foot below the jig. The distance that the jig is above the weight depends on where the fish are holding, some say they are using the weight as much as 8 to 10 feet below the jig. Just bounce the weight along the bottom and the jig bobs along at one to ten feet above the bottom. This is what I'm told by fishing friends. I don't employ the push method, I just tie a jig on the end of the line and catch fish.

what is your rule of thumb on feet of line vs depth of jig? (1/16thoz)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SteveJ View Post
    This is the rig I use when I'm spider-rigging, I guess you can call it pushing a jig, but I'm moving very slowly not anywhere near the speed of pushing crank baits. That is a doubled rubber band pulled thru the weight so you can adjust the length above your jig. I have tried the weight below, Kentucky rig as some call it, but I like it above better.
    FOR SPYDER RIGGIN THIS IS THE WAY TO DO IT!
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Sales and service on Directv and Wildblue internet
    Owner of Sickle Jigs.
    Slab Bandit Pro Staff

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast