PDA

View Full Version : Sun Protection Gloves?

Sandwich Maker
08-08-2010, 09:35 PM
Anyone use them? Any input appreciated.

slabbandit
08-08-2010, 09:47 PM
Don't know about the gloves but they should work just fine if you can still fish in them.
My dermatologist told me that he highly recommended a sunscreen with a SPF of 50. He suggested to me Coppertone Spectra 50. I tried it and it applies well and is not greasy.
I also say where a guy said that it was very important to apply sunscreen at least 15 minutes before getting in the sun and reapply several times during the day.
A good hat is just as important as the top of the ears is one of the places that can develop skin cancer first.:)

SLAB MASTER
08-08-2010, 10:13 PM
I have been using fingerless gloves for 20 years. The style I use have the small rubber bumps on them which gives you a little addditional gripping. They work very well and they not only keep the sun off of your hands but they also keep you from getting finned as much.

I purchase mine off the internet and buy them a dozen pair at a time. I think I pay around 15 bucks a dozen. I probably go thru 2 pair a year. I would not go out without my gloves. If you need additional info just PM me and I will try to answer any questions you have

deathb4disco
08-08-2010, 10:16 PM
I always wear a pair of sungloves when I fish. They are light, comfortable and fingerless, so you can easily tie knots.

skiptomylu
08-08-2010, 10:26 PM
Have to admit even though I don't wear mine like I should, they are pretty comfortable. I think they came from Cabela's and are kind of a flesh color and thin. I think this next year I will try to use them more and sure don't need to push stuff like that.

deathb4disco
08-09-2010, 08:27 AM
These are the ones I use:

Sungloves - Sun Gloves: Fly Fishing Gear - Burleson Sporting Co. (http://www.burfish.com/catalog/3377.html)

kenmlee
08-09-2010, 08:43 AM
I also wear the sungloves mentioned above, they are very comfortable to fish in.
After a lifetime of sun exposure and having skin cancers removed from both hands and face
I finally got the message.
Long sleeve shirts, gloves, wide brimmed hats, and sunscreen applied liberally for me.
Trying to maintain what I got left.

deathb4disco
08-09-2010, 08:53 AM
I also wear the sungloves mentioned above, they are very comfortable to fish in.
After a lifetime of sun exposure and having skin cancers removed from both hands and face
I finally got the message.
Long sleeve shirts, gloves, wide brimmed hats, and sunscreen applied liberally for me.
Trying to maintain what I got left.

Yeah, I dress the same.

In the most recent Sports Illustrated (Stan Musial on the cover), they had a brief, sad article mentioning former Steeler's coach Bill Cowher. His wife just died -- from skin cancer.

Don't let it happen to you.

GCD
08-09-2010, 09:16 AM
I'm not that delicate, so I don't have to worry.

I've spent my life outside and have always had a good tan.

The sun shining on your skin is a good source of vitaminD!

BarryG
08-09-2010, 09:29 AM
Here's another place for sun protection.

Sun Protection - Sun Blocking Clothing, Sun Hats, UV Protective Swimwear Cover ups, Sun Protection Swim Wear (http://www.sungrubbies.com/)

gabowman
08-09-2010, 09:43 AM
The damage might have already been done from my youth and teenage years running around all the time with only cutoff jeans on but to be honest, I've never thought about "sun gloves". To be perfectly honest, I dont think my hands have EVER blistered.:confused: I do keep a shirt on now and wear a cap or straw hat when it gets hot out there.

Bottombumper
08-09-2010, 09:48 AM
Dont know where I spelled it right but it is serious stuff. I am a fair-complected Irish fisherman who was too macho and hard headed to heed advise on the damage the Sun can do to you. I woke up one morning after fishing all day on river with no protection except for a cap with a knot on the side of my nose. I figured it would probaly go away in a few days so I continued my normal life in the Sun. It began to get bigger and after it had grew toward my tear-gland in my left eye, I sought a Dermatolgist and was diagnosed and removed as a cyst. He sent to Lab and came back as Basil Cell Cancer. To shorten the story I have had 2 Surjurys, Plastic Surjury and was supposed to have another for Looks sake but I declined. Thankfully they seemed to have gotten all the Cancer I hope. I wear all the protection now as it made a believer out of me. BB

deathb4disco
08-09-2010, 09:48 AM
The damage might have already been done from my youth and teenage years

That's true for everybody, but sun damage is cumulative, like getting punched in boxing.

majflyboy
08-09-2010, 10:08 AM
I too am fair skinned and of Irish decent. Way too much exposure to direct sun & came down with Squamous cell carcinoma on left arm and both legs. Lost a lot of meat but I think there's going to be more surgery in my future. Folks need to take this seriously. I still fish throughout the summer but have umbrellas on the boat and try to dress appropriately.

rocket rich
08-09-2010, 12:02 PM
I've tried several pair s from Cabela's nd they fall apart too soon. I've had skin cancer and not the good kind... I no longer use any .., Bad News fo;r me I guess

deathb4disco
08-14-2010, 06:24 PM
Dont know where I spelled it right but it is serious stuff. I am a fair-complected Irish fisherman who was too macho and hard headed to heed advise on the damage the Sun can do to you. I woke up one morning after fishing all day on river with no protection except for a cap with a knot on the side of my nose. I figured it would probaly go away in a few days so I continued my normal life in the Sun. It began to get bigger and after it had grew toward my tear-gland in my left eye, I sought a Dermatolgist and was diagnosed and removed as a cyst. He sent to Lab and came back as Basil Cell Cancer. To shorten the story I have had 2 Surjurys, Plastic Surjury and was supposed to have another for Looks sake but I declined. Thankfully they seemed to have gotten all the Cancer I hope. I wear all the protection now as it made a believer out of me. BB

I usually don't respond to threads that have been "dormant" for a few days, but I was reminded of this one. I just got back from my local Bass Pro where I spent about an hour or so talking to a guy in the fly shop. When I first saw him, I could tell there was something wrong with his face. Once we started talking, I guessed it was due to skin cancer, and he confirmed it. He had had three basal cell carcinomas on his face. Although they were successfully removed, they took some good-sized chunks of his face out as well.

Moral of the story: don't forget your hat and sunscreen.

Sandwich Maker
08-14-2010, 09:24 PM
I ordered a pair from Bass Pro. Probably should have had them a long time ago!

skiptomylu
08-14-2010, 10:55 PM
I can't remember which mine came from BPS or Cabela's. I sure need to try and make my self wear them more.

Hope you do like them SM.

Skip

crappieken
08-15-2010, 09:34 AM
There are three basic types of skin cancer - basal cell, squamous cell, and melanoma. Basal cell is the least serious with melanoma being the most deadly. I have had six basal cell and two squamous cell removed from my head and face during the last five years and last March had a melanoma removed from the top of my head. There are four stages of melanoma with stage !V meaning that it has spread to your major organs. Mine was a stage III has the cells had spread to one lymph node behind my left ear. Two weeks later I had another surgery to remove 17 lymph nodes from behind my ear, down my neck, and into my shoulder. All those nodes came back negative so I was fortunate for that. I had a PET/CT scan two weeks ago and it showed no active cells at this time. Last Tuesday I had a brain scan and will get the results of it next Monday. I have been informed that the chance for recurrence of the melanoma is 50%. I have been offered Interferon therapy which has very nasty side effects and will only reduce my chances of recurrence by 10%. I am not going to take the Interferon as I don't intend to inject any toxins into my body with no better odds than 10% reduction for recurrence. Eighty percent of the skin damage occurs prior to age 18, but it is still very important to protect yourself at any age. Young people under age 30 going to tanning booths increase their chance of getting melanoma by 70%. I have a two inch diameter circle on the top of my head that had to be repaired with a skin graft from the back of my left thigh. Like I told my boy, I always put on a hat before I go outside as I don't want to sunburn the back of my leg. Everyone should take this "sun stuff" seriously as it can cost you your life.