Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Saltwater Intrusion - FINALLY

Post Thanks / Like

Default Saltwater Intrusion - FINALLY

Man, at 1430 Thursday the Fearman Bayou gauge at Redfish Point, V-Bay, indicated a salinity of 6 parts per thousand. SIX! Wow! Yeah, I'd take 16, but after two months of 1 ppt, 6 is fantastic!
    No wonder there were shrimp flicking at the backdown ramp in Intracoastal City yesterday AM!
    The water in the northwest pocket of the bay is clearer than I have seen it in two years, there are plenty of reds and a few flounder, and LOTS of shrimp, cocahoes, etc. Been catching some fair-to-nice reds - and a few really good flounders - lately (The past two days on flies!) and barring any disruptions, it should only get better. So, launch at Intracoastal City, head out Four-mile Cut, turn right, run until a stretch of shoreline looks good, and start fishing!
    Against the grass!
    Bon chance.
    Pete
    Oh, and as the month progresses, keep a watch out in open water for diving gulls - the GOOD gulls! I gotta good hunch about specks there this summer!

Post Thanks / Like

Hey SP

Sounds like fun. What no saltwater sacs?

I have caught reds, bass and sacs off the same boat dock in the des allemend area. Ya gotta be quick on the foot motor to land em.

Intracoastal City, I'll have to wait till things dry up around here before I make a trip like that.

Jig Rig
    Ephesians 1:13

Post Thanks / Like

Pete, i never followed the ppm's on salt water, but if it's a good thing for the area then that's great. Stay on them.
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jlaughlin72 View Post
    Pete, i never followed the ppm's on salt water, but if it's a good thing for the area then that's great. Stay on them.
    Yeah, Johnny, it gets pretty fresh - and therefore muddy - in the bay at times. Saltier is better. It may not seem like there's much difference between 2 ppt and 5 ppt, but the fish and shrimp can sure tell!

Jig rig - no sacs or bass with the reds, but early on this year there were a LOT of gous with them! 'Course, we were fishing with live crawfish over live clams in some awfully fresh water - what else could we expect?
    Pete

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Bon matin Pete. I think we'll have great fall fishing this year baring another onslaught from mother nature. I might go give them reds and specks a good whipping this year. I usually only make a trip or two for specks if there close in but this year I might get a little more adventurous. Most of my fishing is done with Linda as my partner but I'm afraid I'll be leaving her behind more often than not because of her health issues. But as they say down the bayou "C'est la vie".
    "gene'
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!

Post Thanks / Like

Them few parts will make or break a mule hunters heart,.so congrats on the chance to get on 'em. I hope you slay 'em. My paw and his crew put 150 in the boat from Grand Isle yesterday morn. From his looks when I saw him.....I'd rather have been in the bayous..
    I work in it all day, yall boys can have that sun and bumpy water.

Adam

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Micropterus salmoides View Post
    Them few parts will make or break a mule hunters heart,.so congrats on the chance to get on 'em. I hope you slay 'em. My paw and his crew put 150 in the boat from Grand Isle yesterday morn. From his looks when I saw him.....I'd rather have been in the bayous..
    I work in it all day, yall boys can have that sun and bumpy water.

Adam
    Aw, come on, Adam, you're too young to be talking like that!
    Fish until 1000 and then haul bootie!
    Gotta do it again tomorrow - with flies! Love the thump!
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Sneaky, where do you find the saltwater gauge for redfish point? thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sacman View Post
    Sneaky, where do you find the saltwater gauge for redfish point? thanks
    Sacman -
    Google "USGS Water Data".
    Click on "Real-time Data"
    Click on image of Louisiana
    Click on the button on the west edge of V-Bay.
    There's some good scoop on that site for inland lakes and rivers, too - might help down the road with your sac fishing.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Ever been locked in a garage for 4 hrs when the heat index is 115?
    And I'm way older in health than I am in age......and even wwwwwwwwwwwwwaaaaaaaaay older in looks than age.
    You don't get a bald head and half grey beard @ 32 by genetics alone.
    Ha! My trolling motor and plastic boat doesn't haul bootie, we're one in the same...slow and calm. Life, fights and women are the only things that move fast without a jig pole in my hand. :D
    I will admit, I'd like to feel the difference in "thumps" though...

Adam

Quote Originally Posted by sneakypete View Post
    Aw, come on, Adam, you're too young to be talking like that!
    Fish until 1000 and then haul bootie!
    Gotta do it again tomorrow - with flies! Love the thump!
    Pete

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast