Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: braid line knots

Post Thanks / Like

Default braid line knots

never used braid before, having trouble with knots. what kind of knot do you guys use on crappie jigs, how to tye them? thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I always use a Palomar, or a San Diego Jam knot. You should be able to find info for tying any of the knots here Palomar Knot or hereFishing Knots | How to Tie Fishing Knots | Animated Fishing Knots
    Sam in PA and FL

Post Thanks / Like

Palomar with a drop of superglue .

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation silverfox ...

Quote Originally Posted by silverfox View Post
    never used braid before, having trouble with knots. what kind of knot do you guys use on crappie jigs, how to tye them? thanks
    I use the same knot for braid that I use for mono .... Improved Clinch

But, I do tie it "very carefully" ... then test it for slippage. If it even acts like it wants to slip, I undo it & then I tie a granny knot (overhand knot) in the tag end, first, then tie the Improved Clinch and cinch it down until it comes into contact with the granny knot. It ain't going nowhere, after that :p

If you've never used braid before, and you intend to, here's some tips you might want to consider :

1. Buy a pair of Fiskar Childs Scissors. You can usually find them for a couple of bucks at Wally World, in the craft or school supply isles. They're the bomb for cutting braid ... because they cut it straight & clean. This makes it easier to put thru those tiny eyelets on jigs & hooks.

2. NEVER try and pull a snagged bait free, by grabbing the braid with your bare hands & pulling on it. And definitely don't wrap the braid around your bare hand & pull. Braid will cut you THREE WAYS .... long, deep, & wide
    Your best bet is to have a wooden dowel, a towel, or a heavy leather glove handy ... and wrap the line around one of those, before pulling. Cork or foam rod handles can also be cut by braid, so I don't suggest using them, either. If your rod happens to be a graphite Tenn handle model, you won't have that problem ... but, a wooden dowel rod is still a better choice.

3. Remember that braid is dead limp. It's also very light. So ... wind will blow it around alot moreso than it does mono. It also likes to stick to branches, especially when it's wet ... and being so limp & light, it can be a task to get it free, if it gets tangled up in a tree branch. It may get a knot in it, when casting .. especially when windy. It's usually best to try and pick it out, rather than just pull it out. These "wind knots" are usually caused by wrist snap/overhead casting techniques. And they can be caused by, or made worse or happen more often if the line is loose on the spool. Sidearm casting, or smooth action overhead casting, doesn't seem to create wind knots .. even in windy conditions.

This is just from my experiences with PowerPro 10/2 - 8/1 & Spiderwire 20/6 ...
    I say I tie the braid "very carefully" ... meaning I take my time & tie the knot slowly & precisely, the first time. Never had a knot slip loose, even after many trips use, once I have it tied "right". The Improved Clinch knot is quick & easy to tie, and I've used it for about 50yrs ... so it's almost second nature for me to tie it, without even concentrating on it too hard :p

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I tye my braid with a clinch not my way is simple take the line through the eye then go a threw the eye again and if I want it super strong I go threw the eye again and tye the clinch and you will not have any slippage. I do this with three oz spoons on 20 lb braid all the way down to 8 lb braid on my buggy whip poles, try it, it is simple and quick. Since you are useing braid for the first time make sure you put a peace of tape on the reel if you spooled the braid on without any mono, or about 2 feet of mono tye braid to the line and spool the reel, if you dont do that if you get a big fish like a cat fish on, the line will slip and the fish will spool you. Second if you break off a bait reel the line back on tight bye useing your fingers, also if you start getting wind knots in the line because of some reels dont have what like diawa has on there reels is line twist buster, you can put some sort of swivel on the line to get rid of line twist. Just giving a been there done that opinion, hope that may help alittle.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a palomar knot...it won't break off. If I hang up I wrap the line around a cleat & back away with the trolling motor, I have straightened a 4/0 worm hook like that before. Whatever you do don't wrap it around your hand & pull, I saw a guy at the boat ramp one time that did that & he had cut his hand to the bone.
    SeaArk Stealth 186 w/ 115 Mercury Optimax & 21p Powertech prop.

Post Thanks / Like

Only time I don't use a palomar is if I use a snell on the hook or a uni-uni tying leaders or backing to my main line. Quick, simple, and one of the strongest knots out there.

Post Thanks / Like

I use a Palomar on tying on the hook or baits and since with braid you need mono backing I use the Uni Knot system to join the two lines. If you never use braid before I sure hope you filled at least half you spool with mono or left what mono you had on already for backing. The braid by it self will slip around the spool.

Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

Great information. I am getting ready to try some out as some of the people on here really like the stuff. I just had to open my wallet a little farther.
    Secretary of Da Fish!

Post Thanks / Like

Y'all have pretty much convinced me to stick with monofilament.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast