Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: drop shot rig trolling

Post Thanks / Like

Default drop shot rig trolling

When you guys troll with multiple jigs and use a egg sinker on the bottom how do you travel with them to keep em from tangling up, i always just troll single jigs because of this problem. I can hook one of the jigs on my line to a rod eye but the other one or ones get all tangled up because i have no way of keeping them seperated. I have tried rubber bands, velcro, and a few other things with very little sucess.
    ,,,,,,,-------,,7777777,,,,,........99999...........www.catchcarolina.com

Yadkin Guide is offline Crappie Wall Hanger * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default It is not easy.

I make rigs that have 2 or 3 hooks on each leader with an ounce weight on the bottom. I tie a small swivel to the top of this leader making the entire thing about 4 feet long. I wrap this rig around swim noodles cut into about 1 foot long pieces. I use long push pins to attach the rigs to the noodles. I can put about 12 rigs on one swim noodle. I put these into zip lock bags for easy storage and no tangles. On the end of my reel lines, I tie a small snap. I take my two piece rods apart but leave the snap attached to the end of the rod and put a twist tie around the reel end of the rod to hold those pieces together. When a get to the lake I put my 2 piece rods together. Take my rigs off the noodles and attach them to the snap and I am ready to fish. I also keep extra rigs so that if I break off I just get a new rig out and am back fishing in less than a minute. This is the best way I have found to store rods and rigs and still be ready to go quickly. If you need I will post pictures.

Yadkin Guide

Post Thanks / Like

Hook the bottom jig on your rig nin the hook keeper on your rod next to your reel (the cheaper poles don't have these), Then come half way up between the bottom jig and the tip of the rod (while holding the rod vertical) and pinch the jig line between your thumb and fore finger, bow the line out slightly and and start turning the rod with your other hand. This will wrap the terminal end of your line around your pole, when your line is all wrapped around the pole just slide the line in your fingers over the closest rod eye.

I do all of my rods like this after each outing and it keeps them from tangling and makes it a lot easier to get them in and out of the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

I will try to explain my set-up which is fairly simple and works for me. I begin by tying a No. 7 Barrell Swivel on one end of a 12-14 inch leader and 3/4 sinker on the other end. I use the same wt line for leader as on my reel. I tie swivel to main line with a clinch knot. I use Eagle Claw no. 2 snelled hooks. I thread the hook thru the loop on leader and until it is a round loop about the size of a quarter. I slip it over the wt. and continue up to the top section of the swivel. I pull hook end tightly and the loop tightens over swivel and the line will be pointing out horizontal from your leader and line. I use minnows and plastics and they both catch fish. Usin 1 hook works better for me also. As for storing, I never break my 12 ft rods apart. When Im through for the day, I let out enough line to reach the reel seat and slip hook point under clamp to tighten the reel. This leaves the wt. hanging free. I have one pony tale band wrapped twice on rod handle and I slide the wt. under the band. I then take the main line going up to the rod tip and hold about half way up and I twist the rod clockwise for 4-5 turns and it will secure snugly near eyes of rod. When you get ready to use again, Do the opposite by beginning with wt,hook and leader and then unwind counterclockwise. I store my rods inside of 3 driftmaster rod holders mounted sown the sides of my boat. I then secure in place with Velcro around holders and rods. I like you had a hard time storing and carrying to and from lake. This works Great for me, hope it helps you. If you need more info,feel free to ask. Bottombumper

Post Thanks / Like

i would like to see some pictures

Post Thanks / Like

ditto
    If vegetable oil is made from vegetables, what's baby oil made from?

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I do is tie loop knots in my main line and I have a snap on the end. That way I can take off any leader, whether it's a lead or a jig, and wrap my line on my rod like GCD said and they stay untangled.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    ScottV's Custom Crappie Cranks
    Crankbait Pushing Weights

Post Thanks / Like

I do not know how to post pictures. If you are referring to my post, What dont you understand? Specify and I will be glad to explain. BB

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GCD View Post
    Hook the bottom jig on your rig nin the hook keeper on your rod next to your reel (the cheaper poles don't have these), Then come half way up between the bottom jig and the tip of the rod (while holding the rod vertical) and pinch the jig line between your thumb and fore finger, bow the line out slightly and and start turning the rod with your other hand. This will wrap the terminal end of your line around your pole, when your line is all wrapped around the pole just slide the line in your fingers over the closest rod eye.

I do all of my rods like this after each outing and it keeps them from tangling and makes it a lot easier to get them in and out of the boat.

GCD I think he is talking about trolling up and down the lake trying to catch a fish, not going up and down the road trying to keep his rods untangled. Be kinda hard to catch a fish with the line wrap"d around the pole and the hook latched into the keeper eye on the bottom of the pole. JMUO
    Be as smart as you can, but it is always better to be wise than to be smart.

RCC is offline Crappie.com Legend and Arkansas Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

To travel with a 2 hook rig, hook the hooks together. This will cause a loop which can be looped over the reel handle or the reel itself. This works well and does not tangle.
    RCC's Crappie Eradication Service
    Eliminating your slab problems one fish at a time
    For free estimates give us a call at O U 812.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast