Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What is long lining an how do u do it

Post Thanks / Like

Default What is long lining an how do u do it

Not that I'm stupid but I've always verticial jigged.. now is long lining just drifting along like spider rigging ( which I've never did either..) I'm willing to try another method never too old too learn (70) Just been putting out brush for the last month so now it's time to start to learn new things. HELP

pm me if you have a long note

Post Thanks / Like

Somebody will explain it better than me, I'am new to it this year. But its trolling with jigs, plastics, etc. Letting different line lenghts out and trolling multiple baits, with multiple rods, I use the TM and GPS to troll around .8 mph. I'm still learning, but it will put fish in the boat.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Long Lining is what we refer to as traditional trolling. It amounts to having any number of rods out the stern or sides of the boat and pulling the bait at a pretty good distance behind the boat.

We have seen different terms for different types of trolling in the last few years primarily because many more types of trolling are now employed; like spider rigging. No doubt there will be other terms now that things like the Ipilot are gaining in popularity.

I can envision such terms as 'spot trolling', where you set anchor points on your Ipilot, when you hit a brushpile or get fish returns on the SONAR, and then tightlining/long lining multiple rods between these spots by rotating the anchor location on the remote.

How you do it is pretty basic; just get multiple baits in the water and troll around with them. However, it is more difficult than that. Getting the bait at a consistent depth, finding the right bait to troll with, boat speed and even finding the fish are what separate the fishermen from the catchermen.

When I am in the river I like to use Roadrunners with the crappie thunder bodies on them to troll, in the main lake I like the series 100 to 300 small cranks better although I like to try and let the fish tell me what they want. There are also things like planer boards you can use to get different bait presentations in and around different structure or cover.
    If you have arrived here by accident, I suggest panic!

Post Thanks / Like

I throw Bandit lures all the time bass fishing and never have I caught a crappie on one.

Can you long line in max 8 foot of water with getting hung up all the time

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rocket rich View Post
    I throw Bandit lures all the time bass fishing and never have I caught a crappie on one.

Can you long line in max 8 foot of water with getting hung up all the time

I have been longlining bandits for years and have caught literally thousands of crappie from 3 inches to 3+ pounds on them. I can tell you for certain that they aint scared to eat em. And yes you can long line in 8 foot water. 100 series hard baits or 1/16th oz jigs should work fine.
    Stick yo jig in there!

Post Thanks / Like

1/32 jig head +2 inch twister tail,I like chartreuse with metal flake.4 to 6 pound test line.try different trolling speeds/I have mine at about the 3rd notch on my 40#thrust trolling motor, but you can try a little faster or slower speeds.If this works for you let me know,good luck!!!