Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: I need help with oil problem

Post Thanks / Like

Default I need help with oil problem

Is there such of thing as outboard motor oil getting old????? I recently bought some Johnson oil that was maybe 10-15years old and it seem as though this oil doesn't mix. I can't get my Mercury motor to start now and my chainsaw doesn't want to run?? I hate to throw away 11 GALLONS OF GAS. HELP COMMENTS PLEASE OR PM ME

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like your oil has turned into sludge.

Check your spark plugs for fouling.

Post Thanks / Like

I Think You Are Right

Post Thanks / Like

outboard motor oil contains additives-these additives will actually separate and become heavy over time-once in the heavy stage they will "gravitate" top the bottom of the container thus becoming sludge-really bad stuff for oil injected motors-best to get rid of the old and go with fresh oil- this is unfortunately the voice of experience!

Post Thanks / Like

lNow this morning the motor started and ran very good , yesterday was no good didnt' run at all??? Put out more brush piles today again. too hot to fish

Post Thanks / Like

I'd say check with a boat repair guy and see if putting some stabile marine in with the oil/gas mixture and shake it up some.

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

Get rid of the old oil and drain out the gas that you mixed it with. You are asking for trouble if you continue to use the old oil. After a time it will break down and loose its lubrication properties and won't be doing what it is intended for. You are asking for a burnt up motor if you continue to use it. imho EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by rocket rich View Post
    Is there such of thing as outboard motor oil getting old????? I recently bought some Johnson oil that was maybe 10-15years old and it seem as though this oil doesn't mix. I can't get my Mercury motor to start now and my chainsaw doesn't want to run?? I hate to throw away 11 GALLONS OF GAS. HELP COMMENTS PLEASE OR PM ME
    Typically air-cooled 2-stroke oil is not the same as the oil for water cooled engines. The TC-3 for air-cooled engines has a lot more lubrication than TCW-3 for water-cooled engines. The higher temps in the high-reving chainsaw gets rid of the ash that forms. Bottom line is you shouldn't use outboard oil in a chainsaw or chainsaw oil in an outboard.

I wouldn't mess with old oil. Engines are too expensive to fix. Mix a little of the gas in with your lawnmower gas.

Post Thanks / Like

The average shelf life of finished lubricants is 3 years from the date of production. Depending on the exact formulation AND the storage conditions, it can be a considerably shorter or a bit longer ... but never 10-15 years.

Ditch the gas/oil mixture and thoroughly clean everything, including the engine components.

BTW, I am a lubrication engineer for an oil company - since 1981. But I would rather be a full-time professional crappie fisherman, unfortunately the job keeps getting in my way.

TJ -

Post Thanks / Like

It would be cheaper in the long run to trash the old. Repair bill will be expensive if you continue to run on the old oil/gas. Get some sea foam in the new, hopfully you have not clogged an injector. If a cylinder is not getting gas its not getting oil.