Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what type of line (braid/mono/fluro)

Post Thanks / Like

Default what type of line (braid/mono/fluro)

Wondering what type of line you all use and why you choose to use that type for your crappie fishing. Not looking for a brand per say, way more interested what type you use for what technique you are fishing. I currently have all 3 listed in the thread title on my crappie rods ( use braid and mono on my rods for other species). Just curious as to how/what every one else is doing as far as crappie fishing line. Thanks for any input, have a great one, God bless all.

-ROMANS 10:9- PHILIPPIANS 4:13

Post Thanks / Like

I mostly use hi-vis Pline 6 lb test or just clear pline in 6 lb test and vertical jig as much as possible.When I have to jig deep cover I use braid and it really changes the peck to a thump on braid.I have tried about everything and mostly just stick with these cause I feel its tough line and works well. I am sure there is plenty more out that work.I use to use a couple other types and brands that I left because I wasnt satisfied with the performance.

Post Thanks / Like

I use plain ol' monofilament, usually Cabela's house brand, because it works well and it's reasonably priced.

Tom

CrappiePappy is online now Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Wink Mono & braid, on my outfits ...

All "casting" outfits have 4lb mono (hi-vis), except one. That one has 10/2 braid, and is used exclusively for casting Roadrunners. I also have one slipfloat outfit that has 20/6 braid on it ... used exclusively for dropping a minner/slipfloat rig into standing cedar trees.

Those with mono, have hi-vis mono so I can see the strike.
    The one with 10/2 braid is used for Roadrunners, so I can get the RR's back (if they snag) and so I don't have to jerk the rod to set the hook (& take a chance on ripping the hook out). Hooksets are accomplished by a mere sweeping of the rod to one side, while continuing to reel in. The outfit with 20/6 braid is used to straighten the hook (lite wire aberdeen) if it gets snagged, and to assure that I can horse a good fish out of the cedar branches.

All of the lines I use, are used because it's the line I had on the reel ... when I matched it up with a rod, for the purpose of using the outfit to fish a specific method/style. I trade them around, now & again, and make new outfits (if they balance OK) ... or, when I get a new rod I want to try out, I may pull a reel off another & match it up to see how the rod will perform, before purchasing a specific reel for that rod. I've used mono since it was first introduced :D ... and the mono of today is a far better product than what I started with. I've used braid since around the early 1970's ... mostly due to the high pound test in smaller diameter & dead limp qualities, little to no stretch factor, and high visibility. Guess you could say I'm "old school", with regards to mono. :p

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I like mono the vicous pan fish but kinda hard to find round here bass pro don't carry it last time I had to order it off line I prefere 6 lbs test
    Last edited by crappie josh; 08-04-2010 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Added txt
    thanks Crappie Josh aka C.J.
    always ready to go fishing

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I use 6# trilene mono on my nightstalking rods and 6# hi-vis Mr. Crappie on my longline rods. On my spider poles I use 8# Trilene (sometimes fishing in and around timber).
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Use hi vis 15# braid on everything I run. Pushin jigs or pullin cranks. Less chance of breakoffs and will help keep my RR jigs if they do hang up.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    Sales and service on Directv and Wildblue internet
    Owner of Sickle Jigs.
    Slab Bandit Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

I use 6lb Mr. Crappie high vis mono on my casting rigs. For jigging and dunking minnows I use braid. A steady pull gets your jigs back and when fishing deep water the braid allows you to feel the bite better.

Post Thanks / Like

Use either Berkly trilene or my OLD stash of BPS Excel line, I don't like their new stuff. There's been several threads on lines and I myself need to go back and look at some of them to find something good to replace the Excel line with.

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

Stren Super Braid Hi Vis Gold 8# for jigging Deep. Stren Clear Blue Flo 6# if I'm pitching a cork. I have tried several different brands of line throughout the years. I Always go back to Stren. Been useing it my whole life and have never found anything I like better.
    I'm sick of following my dreams. I'm just going to ask them where they're goin' and hook up with them later.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast