Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why do we make stuff?

Depends on the season. but between Warrensburg Mo and south Louisiana is a good place to look
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Why do we make stuff?

Y'all might be like me and like to make things over buy them. I wonder what makes me spend 10x's the money on something thats not always better than the cheaper store bought product? I mean like a baseball bat 20 bucks for everyone else a wal mart...... me oh know 500 bucks in wood working and Ill build a bat that Paul Bunyan couldnt lift. but by Gosh I made it :D
    You know how many crappie baits I could buy with the money I've spent to make them? but by golly I made them and I like it lol I guess its just how some people are wired. My girlfriend laughs because if I see something I like, she can see the wheels turning on how I can make it. Most of the time I spend a ton of money and it doesnt work but I tried
    In our government-controlled schools we are taught that Lincoln was our greatest president because his war ended slavery and saved the Union. As usual, the other side of the story – the side that reflects poorly on the government – somehow gets lost. – Richard J. Maybury, The Abe Lincoln Hoax

Post Thanks / Like

what do you do with the things that you make that turn out wrong
    "the objective of war is not to die for your country but to make that sorry sob die for his" General Patton

Post Thanks / Like

It keeps us out of the go-go bars and pool halls!

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

There is nothing like catching fish on something you have made. It's not cheap but there is nothing that can replace the feeling either.
    I ran a wood shop- cabinet shop for a lot of years. I still see things that I built for others and there is a pride that comes over me knowing that when I'm gone something will be left behind.
    It's the same with seeing old baits. Knowing that someone made the baits and we are still enjoying them. No price can be put on that feeling.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

I love the feeling of catching things on my baits, and I hope to fish enough in the future to make atleast my expense back on what I spent. I will hopefully sell enough here and there to cover some of my expenses, but even if I do not, it is well worth the money I have spent just to do it myself and make a little something different than the every day bait I have always used.

Post Thanks / Like

Over the years when I was in the military I sold jigs to local shops and after about 5 years I figured I had recouped my initial investement. I always went for half cash and half buying lures at what the shops cost was before mark-up.

I've got enough stuff to make thousands of jigs, spinners and flys. It's always more fun to catch fish on something that you made yourself. It isn't always pretty but they catch fish.

Also back when the kids were home and fishing it was nice not having to worry about the cost of store bought if they lost something, and we were doing together things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Best reason of all!!!!!!!!

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

I hear ya fatman

snake River is offline Crappie.com 2010 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Default why do I make stuff

sometimes I wonder I do it for enjoyment this is more of a hobby than anything else to me and I do enjoy people did enjoy the stuff that I made. We give away thousands of jigs every year to either the unfortunate or fundraisers or some other cause that I see fit. It's not the money to me though we do it is a part-time business. If you are in this for fact you better forget about it. There is nothing better than the world than catching something that you have made. We started out when I was a young man in high school I think maybe one year or so before that we started out about 14 or 15 years old. And ever since then it's been part of my life something that you truly enjoy doing. If I spark one young man out there to this way of life and then I again something that means so much to me to somebody else and I hope that my experience and knowledge will be passed on. When I come on crappie.com it was a dream come true for me here is a world that I truly enjoy talking to many of you guys about fishing for one little fish it means so much to our country and it is quite large industry now. There's literally thousands or maybe millions of dollars to be made every year to this one little fish. But my most pride is getting out of the enjoying the of watching somebody else catch fish on something that I've made. Now that we are into plastics is the new ballgame and I really enjoy it you don't want to know what it cost to get into this sort of thing I've spent probably more than most people would find something I consider it as a hobby. In the past few months we spent close to over $6000 just to give you an ideal on how wonderful my hobby is to me. In a course like the above you see something that you want and naturally you're going to buy it so the cost keeps building though you will never get your money back out of it right away it doesn't seem to make a difference. Each hour that I sat at the desk I have a smile at my face because we are doing something I truly enjoy though it is 100° outside in my shop is about 120 but we seem to enjoy sitting there sweating making something so wonderful to me.

www.bobsjigs.com

Post Thanks / Like

yep snake, the price adds up in a hurry. I ordered a little over 400 dollars worth again here recently. I gotts stop that. When you enjoy it as much as we do, it is hard to stop.

Post Thanks / Like

It is addicting. Maybe we need a S.P.A.? Soft Plastics Anonymous.
    Hello everybody, I am Bob, and I am a "plastiholic".

"Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty ia a well-armed lamb contesting the vote." - Benjamin Franklin.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast