Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Weather affecting your Fishing

Post Thanks / Like

Default Weather affecting your Fishing

I'm sure it's been asked before, I did a search but didn't find anything exact, so I thought I'd ask.

I've always been told, don't waste your time going fishing when it has stormed the night before or storms that day. If you are on the water and it storms, you might as well go home. They get the lock jaw.

Here's what I'm getting at, went out Saturday morning, wasn't giving rain, Weatherman said 30% chance, he missed it again. About 20 mins on the water, (We were striper fishing) it starts to thunder a bit, lightning and rain. Blew in 2 nice storms.

We head to the marina, 90 mins later the rain is gone, we go back out and stay until about 2 PM.

Nothing, not one fish, not one bite. We found them on the fishfinder, schooled up, with shad, under shad, over shad, you name it, but they just wouldn't hit anything we threw at them.

Saw some guys fishing live bait w/ balloons, they didn't catch anything either.

So, is it true, (in your opinion), if it storms, the fish won't bite, you are just wasting your time.

The past 2 times I've been fishing when it has stormed or storms, we have been shut out completely.
    Jesus Said: Come, follow me & I will make you fishers of men.

STUMP HUNTER is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

I have not found it to be true while crappie fishing. Have waited lots of storms out at the ramp and caught crappie after a storm. Caught my share while fishing in light rains too.
    I fish for crappie 90% of the time so I'm not sure about how a storm effects other fish. Look forward to hearing from others on this.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER ---------
    Ascend 133X 13' - MotorGuide Xi3 & Mercury 4

Post Thanks / Like

I just read in the In-Fisherman Crappie fundimentals book that mild cold fronts can actually turn the crappie fishing on. It's the rapid pressure changes that spoil the fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

crappie bite all the time and never really noticed a pre or past storm affect it much, I'm sure it does have some affect though and every lake is different

Post Thanks / Like

Went one evening last week & had a bad summer storm blow in. Went from blue skies & sunshine to rain blowing sideways & hiding under a empty boat house, after the storm we caught 8 bass off the seawall....I don't know about the crappie but the bass sure didn't mind it.
    SeaArk Stealth 186 w/ 115 Mercury Optimax & 21p Powertech prop.

Post Thanks / Like

They bite like crazy when a storm is blowing in and after the storm also. I don't know about during the storm, I get off the water when that happens?.
    Don't outsmart your common sense!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Just a rain can really turn the fish on, and thunder and lightning storm will kill the bite real quick. If it's a really severe storm it can shut them down for a couple of days. This has been my personal experience and I may be doing something wrong right after a severe storm has passed, but they won't bite in their normal pattern for me during or after a thunderstorm.

On the other hand, I've been out and not gotten any bites before a light to medium rain. As soon as it starts raining they'll start tearing it up and you can load the boat... but if the thunder and lightning ever starts you might as well hang it up!

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard for and against it but I just go fishing and hope for the best. Gives you time to try lures and retrieves and also try something you've never tried before.

Fatman

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Fatman View Post
    I've heard for and against it but I just go fishing and hope for the best. Gives you time to try lures and retrieves and also try something you've never tried before.

Fatman
    Fish are just a bonus when I go fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GCD View Post
    Fish are just a bonus when I go fishing.
    That's what I'm talking ABOUT :D

My kind of thinkin'
    Crappie are snobby..... Why can't they be easy to catch...Like bass?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast