Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My red worms died from excessive heat

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My red worms died from excessive heat

It has been in the triple digit heat index here In Alabama for the past month. All my red wigglers died as their container home was outside in the sickening hot. I made a new container for the garage where it is much cooler. My friend David (G-3) mailed me some Mississippi red worms to get me started again. I want to publically thank him on this forum for his act of kindness. I appreciate it. Anyway here are a few more tips for those raising them.

Description:* These are relatively small worms, 1-3 inches long, and very skinny too. Although they are small, they can eat nearly 1/2 of their weight in food every day.*

Make sure they have a moist environment with composting food ready for them so that they can rehydrate and nourish themselves.* After the worms have settled in feed them only when they start running low on food. You shouldn’t have to add any water since most foods already provide a lot of moisture content. There should never be any standing water at the bottom of the bin.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Yeah, worms go deep into the ground and seek shady spots this time of year to protect themselves from the heat. If they can't go deep of get to a shady spot they'll expire.

On the bright side though, that mass of rotting worm flesh would be a great base for a catfish stink bait!... if you could stand the stench yourself.

Lots of great people on this site and G-3 is one of them.

"G" is offline Super Duper Moderator - 2012 Crappie.Com Man of the year & 2018 Crappie.com Decade of Exceptional Service Awards * Crappie.com Supporter * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you guys trying to give me a big head? :D Thanks friends....I try to do my best in all things and I try to help others.
    I have spent most my life fishing........the rest I wasted.
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER
    PICO Lures Field Rep

azslabber is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Good job G-3,lol.My Africans would love it there.While it's hot that is.
    "Garden Hackler"lol

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by G3 Fisherman View Post
    Are you guys trying to give me a big head? :D Thanks friends....I try to do my best in all things and I try to help others.
    Yeah. Thanks again.

Hey GCD those other carcasses and stench were tilled into the garden. The tomatoes and bell peppers seem to love it.

Bob # 1 is offline Moderator Fisherman's Memorial Forum * Member Sponsor
    Post Thanks / Like

Here are some more for you son

------------------------------------------------------------

Testimonials
    Night fishing tips 101
    Temperature Guide Crappie

Fishing lights

Post Thanks / Like

yeah I had several thousand worms die on me one year and you talk about a stench you will never forget. Kind of made me think of the stench Andy must have smelt in the sewage pipe in shawshank

Post Thanks / Like

There's really something about the stench of rotten worms and rotten shrimp that really draws the catfish in. They both make an excellent chum if you can keep from hurling before/during putting it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Here in Mo where we get heat indexes above 100 and cold temps below 0 I have my worms inside. The live in a five tiered worm bin in the basement. Absoluely no smell and the tiers get rotated as they eat through them. all the castings get collected and saved until it is time to plant tomatos and peppers the next Spring.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by moswampy View Post
    Here in Mo where we get heat indexes above 100 and cold temps below 0 I have my worms inside. The live in a five tiered worm bin in the basement. Absoluely no smell and the tiers get rotated as they eat through them. all the castings get collected and saved until it is time to plant tomatos and peppers the next Spring.
    Yeah,

I had to rethink outside worm bins after this summer! Mine are in the garage now. They will be fed cornmeal and damp newspaper.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast