PDA

View Full Version : Do any of U crappie guys fish cats

jaxsprat
07-31-2010, 10:52 AM
I have 8 of my grandkids fishing in a summer kids meet from shore. With water temp pushing 80 only good bites are gills & then cats 1 hour before dark. Been doing fair on crawlers & chicken livers 1 or 2 fish---nothing on 3 diff dip baits. Question has anyone tried beef liver? --it has a stronger smell any opinions?

GCD
07-31-2010, 11:01 AM
I have 8 of my grandkids fishing in a summer kids meet from shore. With water temp pushing 80 only good bites are gills & then cats 1 hour before dark. Been doing fair on crawlers & chicken livers 1 or 2 fish---nothing on 3 diff dip baits. Question has anyone tried beef liver? --it has a stronger smell any opinions?

If your laws allow, use cut bait from bluegills... carp and sucker cutbait work well too.

sulphurspringsfisherman
07-31-2010, 11:17 AM
beef liver works great doesnt come off the hook as much and the blue gill love it

Locator79
07-31-2010, 11:21 AM
Beef liver is not near as good as chicken liver. Put the chicken liver in the microwave for 1 1/2 minutes to make it a little tougher, it will stay on the hook better, and catch more fish.

crappieseeker
07-31-2010, 11:38 AM
I like cut bait, but one of my old favorites was shad guts.

wish4fish
07-31-2010, 01:11 PM
I just about only use live bait any more, either big minnows or small bream. With kids I would use night crawlers but if I had liver then I would put it in cut up panty hose, make little bags out of it and then put that on a hook, it stays on there a lot better.

GCD
07-31-2010, 01:28 PM
You can also increase your catch ratio if you will chum your area with a couple cans of the cheapest fish flavor cat food you can find. Just open it up and sling it out into the general area you'll be fishing. Liver flavor canned dog food works too.

If you can chum your area 3 or 4 days in a row prior to fishing it your catch rate will be even greater.

Locator79
07-31-2010, 02:10 PM
Lately I have been baiting up with a small glob of chicken liver, and tipping it with about a 1/2" piece of uncooked shrimp, for added scent and it helps hold it on. It has been working for me all season, for eater sized fish. Cut or live bait is what you want for bigger fish.

skiptomylu
07-31-2010, 02:23 PM
Have a friend that fishes catfish for his living on a trot line and he's a little different than most, but he also catches a lot of catfish. He uses chicken hearts and cuts them in half. We have a store that we can buy 5 pound box of frozen chicken hearts and we just take out what we need each time. Of course if there is a lot of tasty small channel cats some stick bait works well too.

Good luck,
Skip

crappieseeker
07-31-2010, 04:12 PM
you might try some ivory soap if its legal in your area

pgottshall
07-31-2010, 04:40 PM
I like the "Sticky Bait" from Walmart. Last weekend Dad and I were out. I got about a dozen catfish on my dipbait, and he got two on his chicken-liver & shrimp.

I believe in dip bait. It works well, it's cheap, and it lasts forever. The only trick is to rebait often, as it disolves off the bait-tube in about 5min in warmer water.

sulphurspringsfisherman
07-31-2010, 04:43 PM
I like the "Sticky Bait" from Walmart. Last weekend Dad and I were out. I got about a dozen catfish on my dipbait, and he got two on his chicken-liver & shrimp.

I believe in dip bait. It works well, it's cheap, and it lasts forever. The only trick is to rebait often, as it disolves off the bait-tube in about 5min in warmer water.

is that the premo brand
the kind i make works better if you want the recipe pm me

azslabber
07-31-2010, 05:01 PM
All through the years have never caught a catfish with beef liver.It looks like you should,but just don't work.

sulphurspringsfisherman
07-31-2010, 05:11 PM
if you leave it outside the night before you go fishing it works perfectly

LouisianaFishNut
07-31-2010, 05:22 PM
I've used beef liver before and done very well. But as stated, it does come off fairly easy so I use treble hooks when fishing it on trotlines or yo-yo's. I noticed someone mentioned the soap. I did try that Zote once, but had no luck at all. Haven't tried it again.

sulphurspringsfisherman
07-31-2010, 05:38 PM
if you leave the liveroutside overnight it hardens some and makes it stay on hook easier

Buckeyemusky
07-31-2010, 07:25 PM
We always use six to eight inch sucker minnows when we fish from my dads dock at night. We don't catch big numbers, but the ones we do catch are pretty good size.
I always put on a wire leader and use a slip bobber. Last year tried tightlineing with about a half ounce sinker slideing on the line. I was told that big cats have trouble getting ahold of bait if it lays right on the bottom. I know it sounds weird but it seemed to work.
Been thinking about trying the circle hooks and just holding the line tight and letting them hook theyselves when they grab it and run.

GCD
07-31-2010, 08:32 PM
We always use six to eight inch sucker minnows when we fish from my dads dock at night. We don't catch big numbers, but the ones we do catch are pretty good size.
I always put on a wire leader and use a slip bobber. Last year tried tightlineing with about a half ounce sinker slideing on the line. I was told that big cats have trouble getting ahold of bait if it lays right on the bottom. I know it sounds weird but it seemed to work.
Been thinking about trying the circle hooks and just holding the line tight and letting them hook theyselves when they grab it and run.

Circle hooks are great! Setting the rod in a rod holder and waiting for the fish to pull the rod tip way down is a good way to use them. If you hold the rod in your hand, wait for the pole to load and the just start reeling... setting the hook with a sharp pull of the rod will only pull the hook out of the fishes mouth.

Jim C.
07-31-2010, 09:53 PM
We have been using Turkey livers & they seen to stay on real well. They are a little bigger then chicken livers so we just cut what we want. Jim C.

unknown 5
08-01-2010, 06:50 AM
I often catch channels underneath the crappie. Here is a video clip of some cats I caught this month. Depending on conditions, I either fish for crappie or cats, or often, both.

YouTube - July Catfish Movie.wmv (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCJJeKFDqYk)

SteveJ
08-01-2010, 08:28 AM
Another chum I have used is soured sweet feed, put some in a bucket, cover with water and let it sour. Go to your area and broadcast. Lots of small and eater cats will come, never caught a BIG cat like that but once a big carp on a chumed trot line. I use Little Smokey's cut in 4 pieces for bait. Maybe not the best bait but easy to come by and stay on the hook good, you can soak it in fish attractant.
http://www.gomeat.com/products/lit-l-smokies.aspx

plumcrappie
08-01-2010, 10:37 AM
cut skip jack or gizzard shad is the bait for me if I'm look for blues. Live bait or a 6" grub with some flavor added when I'm looking for flat heads. I don't eat cats anymore, so I just fish for the fight now.

GCD
08-01-2010, 10:42 AM
Another chum I have used is soured sweet feed, put some in a bucket, cover with water and let it sour. Go to your area and broadcast. Lots of small and eater cats will come, never caught a BIG cat like that but once a big carp on a chumed trot line. I use Little Smokey's cut in 4 pieces for bait. Maybe not the best bait but easy to come by and stay on the hook good, you can soak it in fish attractant.
GO MEAT!™ (http://www.gomeat.com/products/lit-l-smokies.aspx)

Cats also go crazy for a soured soy bean chum too, but it takes at least 30 days to prepare the sour soy bean chum before you can use it.

NIMROD
08-01-2010, 02:26 PM
We have been using Turkey livers & they seen to stay on real well. They are a little bigger then chicken livers so we just cut what we want. Jim C.

We catch hundreds each summer using Turkey Liver once the Catalpa worms are gone.;)

Check out these threads from this sites Catfishing section.

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/catfish-fishing/140135-baiting-holes.html

http://www.crappie.com/crappie/catfish-fishing/140486-catfish-pics-over-bait-6-30-2010-a.html

crappieseeker
08-01-2010, 02:53 PM
I have heard feed is also a good chum for crappie as well.

jaxsprat
08-01-2010, 06:19 PM
wow, really great info ----thanks guys

hair jig
08-02-2010, 02:00 PM
Turkey Liver Is Good If You Use Liver Because It's Between Chicken And Beef. I'ts Just The Right Texture Beef Is Just To Tough And The Fish Just Pull At It But Can't Get It Off.

sulphurspringsfisherman
08-02-2010, 02:18 PM
where do get them

Darin115
08-02-2010, 09:59 PM
When I buy crappie minnows I ask them for any dead bass minnows they have. They are generally more than happy to give them to me. They work great.

Also, while crappie fishing I will put on a treble hook and jig up and down in the lights. It is pretty easy to snag a shad to use for bait. That works well also. Probably a little better than dead bass minnows.

Darin

smoothlures
08-02-2010, 10:17 PM
Check this article I wrote out, should help ya out some.

South Carolina's hot shallow water catfish (http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-60503-Charleston-Fishing-Examiner~y2010m7d23-South-Carolinas-HOT-Shallow-Water-Catfish)

jeepguyjames
08-02-2010, 11:47 PM
Cut pieces of the forage fish that lake holds will work, if there are big flat heads live bait is hard to beat. But if its channels or blues cutbait for the most part is better. Use what ever forage the fish the lake has (shad/skipjack/suckers/etc) or even cut bluegills, if its legal of course.

NIMROD
08-03-2010, 04:26 AM
http://www.crappie.com/crappie/arkansas-crappie-fishing/143378-catfishing-red-hot-today-pictures.html

NIMROD
08-03-2010, 04:31 AM
GO MEAT!™ (http://www.gomeat.com/products/lit-l-smokies.aspx)

We use soured feed but back when we used sweet feed (sweet 10 horse and mule feed) we just used it striaght out of the bag. The pellets have molassess on them and there is little whole grain in it. But man the Catfish love it. It sells here little over 6.00 a 50# bag. It is dry , clean , does'nt smell bad, and fairly cheap. Reason we changed to soured feed is we get floor sweepings from a feed mill for free.:D Helps to share the fish.:D

tholmes
08-03-2010, 01:23 PM
You can also increase your catch ratio if you will chum your area with a couple cans of the cheapest fish flavor cat food you can find. Just open it up and sling it out into the general area you'll be fishing. Liver flavor canned dog food works too.

If you can chum your area 3 or 4 days in a row prior to fishing it your catch rate will be even greater.

Good idea to check your state regs. to be sure chumming is legal in your area.

I've had good results with a prepared dough bait called BeeJay's. Stinks to high heaven, but that's the way channel cats like it.

Tom

TDHcrappiemaster
08-03-2010, 02:27 PM
You asked if any of us crappie guys fish for cats? Well it looks like a lot of us crappie guys do indeed fish for them.
There has been a lot of great idea's posted here.
My prefered bait is cut bait. ( Shad, Crappie, Blue gill and carp.) Mostly shad though.
Take a look at my website pictures you will see I love to do both.

Tom

Home - Hoosier Crappie and Catfish Guide Service Indiana (http://hoosiercrappieandcatfishguideservice.com)

jaxsprat
08-03-2010, 03:21 PM
You asked if any of us crappie guys fish for cats? Well it looks like a lot of us crappie guys do indeed fish for them.
There has been a lot of great idea's posted here.
My prefered bait is cut bait. ( Shad, Crappie, Blue gill and carp.) Mostly shad though.
Take a look at my website pictures you will see I love to do both.

Tom

Home - Hoosier Crappie and Catfish Guide Service Indiana (http://hoosiercrappieandcatfishguideservice.com)

Nice web site, sure a lot of fish there..

TDHcrappiemaster
08-03-2010, 03:55 PM
Nice web site, sure a lot of fish there..

Thanks Jaxsprat!

Tom

mozingo1952
08-03-2010, 05:33 PM
i find that the best time for catfishing at my dock is right after cleaning
a big mess of crappie. :) I swear the catfish can hear the electric knife when
it starts up.

You have to get them out of the water quick , if you let them thrash around
on top, it spooks the other fish.

MO