Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Do any of U crappie guys fish cats

Post Thanks / Like

Default Do any of U crappie guys fish cats

I have 8 of my grandkids fishing in a summer kids meet from shore. With water temp pushing 80 only good bites are gills & then cats 1 hour before dark. Been doing fair on crawlers & chicken livers 1 or 2 fish---nothing on 3 diff dip baits. Question has anyone tried beef liver? --it has a stronger smell any opinions?
    I don't suffer from insanity; I enjoy every minute of it.....

PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaxsprat View Post
    I have 8 of my grandkids fishing in a summer kids meet from shore. With water temp pushing 80 only good bites are gills & then cats 1 hour before dark. Been doing fair on crawlers & chicken livers 1 or 2 fish---nothing on 3 diff dip baits. Question has anyone tried beef liver? --it has a stronger smell any opinions?
    If your laws allow, use cut bait from bluegills... carp and sucker cutbait work well too.

Post Thanks / Like

beef liver works great doesnt come off the hook as much and the blue gill love it
    "the objective of war is not to die for your country but to make that sorry sob die for his" General Patton

Post Thanks / Like

Beef liver is not near as good as chicken liver. Put the chicken liver in the microwave for 1 1/2 minutes to make it a little tougher, it will stay on the hook better, and catch more fish.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

I like cut bait, but one of my old favorites was shad guts.

Post Thanks / Like

I just about only use live bait any more, either big minnows or small bream. With kids I would use night crawlers but if I had liver then I would put it in cut up panty hose, make little bags out of it and then put that on a hook, it stays on there a lot better.
    nothing beats time on the water

Post Thanks / Like

You can also increase your catch ratio if you will chum your area with a couple cans of the cheapest fish flavor cat food you can find. Just open it up and sling it out into the general area you'll be fishing. Liver flavor canned dog food works too.

If you can chum your area 3 or 4 days in a row prior to fishing it your catch rate will be even greater.
    Last edited by GCD; 07-31-2010 at 01:48 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Lately I have been baiting up with a small glob of chicken liver, and tipping it with about a 1/2" piece of uncooked shrimp, for added scent and it helps hold it on. It has been working for me all season, for eater sized fish. Cut or live bait is what you want for bigger fish.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Have a friend that fishes catfish for his living on a trot line and he's a little different than most, but he also catches a lot of catfish. He uses chicken hearts and cuts them in half. We have a store that we can buy 5 pound box of frozen chicken hearts and we just take out what we need each time. Of course if there is a lot of tasty small channel cats some stick bait works well too.

Good luck,
    Skip

Peak Vise Dealer
    Tying Materials, Chenille and Hackle
    For Pictures of my Crystal, Nylon/Rayon or
    New Age Chenille Please PM Me! Also I
    have the Saltwater Neck Hackle and some
    colors of Marabou plus other things!

Post Thanks / Like

you might try some ivory soap if its legal in your area

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast