Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: New spot?

Post Thanks / Like

Default New spot?

Found a spot in the lake today. River channel gos from 60ft to 30ft straight up then theres a cheek channel droping into the river channel. Water gos from 30ft to 10ft on a flat. So I think I will add a few brush piles and see what happens..
    The fish finder showed fish there today but could not get them to bite.
    They were holding off the drop water temp was 52 degrees

Pete

Post Thanks / Like

if the water temp is 52 off of that deep water, then try hitting the shallows. There are going to be alot of early spawning crappie this year and they are going to start their nests very soon. Try some shallow water coves as well, the temps there could be around 54. If that's the case, I promise that if you work the brush in about 3-5' of water, you will come across a slab or three moving in for the spawn.
    Reaper, Where Fish come to Fry

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I did fish Shallow today and did not get a bite. but then agian the water falling. After being aorund 4ft higher. Flooding.
    So the fish have moved back from the bank. I was looking at the deep water place as a good spot this summer.
    Also I agree if we do not have a lot colder weather this winter. I think the fish will be moving up a few weeks early.

Right now I'm looking at good spots to put some crappie condos..

PEte

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Reaper
    if the water temp is 52 off of that deep water, then try hitting the shallows. There are going to be alot of early spawning crappie this year and they are going to start their nests very soon. Try some shallow water coves as well, the temps there could be around 54. If that's the case, I promise that if you work the brush in about 3-5' of water, you will come across a slab or three moving in for the spawn.

Post Thanks / Like

It was not this time of year but I remember finding a big bunch of crappie suspended off to the side of a drop off and we finally got them to bite by holding our jig just as still as we could in among them. I'm guessing that they may just hit it if you leave it in front of them long enough. May not work a lot but it did that May.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff