Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Respoolin reel

Post Thanks / Like

Default Respoolin reel

Ok I respooled on of my reels tonight, and I have one of those plano boxes that holds ur line, and my spool of line has three rubberbands round it as per employee as Bass Pro said could do that to add tension insist of buyin a $30 respoolin station. It was workin great but at times when I go to cast out it unravels alil fast but then it stops, what is the best way to not cause kink or knots? I have some line coniditioner I got a few weeks ago never used, is that the best thing? Or do I need to add more tensions to the line some how as I respool my reel?

Thanks,
    AC
    Following in the foot steps of the master fisherman!!
    Mark 1:16-18

Post Thanks / Like

what kind of reel is it spinning or what
    "the objective of war is not to die for your country but to make that sorry sob die for his" General Patton

Post Thanks / Like

Ya an open face spinnin reel....
    Following in the foot steps of the master fisherman!!
    Mark 1:16-18

Post Thanks / Like

what i do is press the line against the pole lightly and reel slow making sure that you dont let go of that pressure
    "the objective of war is not to die for your country but to make that sorry sob die for his" General Patton

Post Thanks / Like

While you're out in the boat, idle along and let all of you line out behind the boat with nothing on the end (not even a hook). Then anfter idling around for a few minutes with all your line out take a rag and dampen it with lake water, the pinch it around your line between the reel and the first rod eye. Keep the line pinched between the dampened rag and start reeling your line in, make sure your drag is tight and doesn't slip while reeling the line in under pressure. This will load the line on your spool good and tight and will also remove any line twists.

I also use the dampened rag when respooling here at the house, it really does a good job of packing the line on and the moisture in the rag will prevent the friction from heating up your line and causing abrasion... it'll also remove any dust or chalk from your line.

azslabber is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

If you don't have a boat,just go out to your truck after spooling the line and tie it to your bumper and walk out until you are at the end and reel it in with your drag tightened up a little.Keep a slight bend in your rod and stretch it a little before you start reeling it in to get rid of the memory in it.
    "Garden Hackler"lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azslabber View Post
    If you don't have a boat,just go out to your truck after spooling the line and tie it to your bumper and walk out until you are at the end and reel it in with your drag tightened up a little.Keep a slight bend in your rod and stretch it a little before you start reeling it in to get rid of the memory in it.
    Be sure to untie the line from your bumper before you start reeling so it can flip and flop around and untangle itself. Youll also need to flip your dampened rag over a few times to remove the dirt, dust, and debris from the line and rag.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by azslabber View Post
    This works better with a ball bearing swivel between the line and the fixed point. GCF's idea of letting it flop around has merit, but relieves the tension I like to put the line on with. Also make sure the line is coming off the side of the spool in the same direction that it's going on the reel or you will have a genuine nightmare. Just my 2 cents.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

and yes you can use that line conditioner as well

Post Thanks / Like

Most sporting good stores will put line on your reels for you. I know all 3 sporting goods stores here do it. They do charge a small fee but if you buy the line from their store they will do it for FREE!! I get all my reels done at academy sports. I have my freshwater reels done every 6 months and my saltwater reels every year. I go in pick out the line I want on my reels and hand it to the guy at the counter.
    I purposely go like on a Tuesday during the day when I know they won't be busy. That way I won't have to leave my reels there overnight. I walk around the store and browse for 15 minutes while they line my reels and I walk away knowing it got done right.

Never had a problem with kinky line because they know what they are doing and they use a machine to put the line on evenly and the correct way.

I know most of you prefer to do it at home yourself and I used to be the same way but relining a dozen reels twice a year is a pain and I figure if I'm gonna be buying the new line, I might as well take advantage of free spooling services.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast