Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: New fish finder, little help?

Post Thanks / Like

Post New fish finder, little help?

I just purchased a new fish finder on a boat that previous did not have one. I was wondering if anyone had any tips on where to put the transducer (fish with the bottom of the boat i know) and how it is best to mount it.
    I have an old 1970 Crestliner.
    Thanks a bunch guys.

Post Thanks / Like

*Typo. Flesh with the bottom of the boat i meant

Post Thanks / Like

bout half way tween edge of boat and motor...away from any strakes on boat bottom.

Post Thanks / Like

just what i thought, looks like the spot. Does the fishfinder usually come with the transducer though? I don't have it yet it will be here tomorrow.

Post Thanks / Like

Probably will have a transducer with it. Did you buy it used? Usually you can adjust it a little after you mount the mounting plate to the transom- but it is always good to get it as close to correct while you are finding where you will drill your holes through the transom. Most transom mount 'ducers are hydrodynamic so the water will flow over them smoothly.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks i think im pretty well taken care of but advice is always great! it is new so i hope it will have the transducer

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Kid ......

check out this site :
    http://www.lowrance.com/Manuals/File...951_092002.pdf

and go to page 9 of 64 ... 14 of 64 ... 22 of 64 for visuals on transom mounting of transducer units.

If your unit is new, it should come with a transom mount type transducer ... and a manual. Read up, before you start any "mounting". And remember the old "carpenter saying" -- "Measure twice, cut once" !!

And NO ... transducers don't mount "flush" with the bottom of the boat ... they have to be slightly lower than the bottom edge of the transom, so they get a smooth flow of water over the bottom of the transducer -- and no bubbles or cavitation flow, when boat is on plane.

If, for whatever reason, you don't have a transducer for your unit .... give us the brand & model, and we'll direct you to some places to purchase one for your particular unit. (such as - http://www.lei-extras.com/store/default.asp - which I've used in the past) .... luck2ya ...cp

Post Thanks / Like

Get a transducer mounting board from BassPro for $12, then you only have 2 holes in the boat and you can move the tranducer anywhere you want it and don't have to drill any more holes in the boat.

Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC
    Gerald K4NHN
    Cayce, SC

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you both very much, good stuff.

Post Thanks / Like

Also, be sure to mount the transducer on the opposite side of whichever way the prop turns. If you standing behind your boat and your prop turns "clockwise" when going forward you would mount it on the left side. Most do turn "clockwise" just be sure. I just bought a new Humminbird 787c2 and that was a major point they pushed. Something about theirs more turbulance on the right side that can cause issues.