Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Smoking Fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Smoking Fish.

I have a smoker that uses charcoal and I will be using wet hickory chips. Now my question is does anyone have success with smoking sandbass, strippers and saugeye? We caught a few and I want to try smoking them. I pretty well know how to smoke meat but need to know if these fish can be smoked and a recipe for them. Any help will be appreciated. I do love the smoked fish that we had in California but it was ocean fish that I bought at the beach and already smoked. Quite high dollar too.

Post Thanks / Like

I've personally never smoked fish, but here is a website I use a lot.

Cooks.com - Recipes - Smoked Fish

Post Thanks / Like

Southern Woman, I believe that I saw a program on the food network on smoking fish. Alton Brown was the show host and I think it was called good eats. Might try the website for the network and see if they have a search available. Good luck!

Post Thanks / Like

I used to smoke steel head and I would soak them in brine ( 1 cup salt, 1 cup brown sugar, 1 quart of water in a zip lock bag with the all air squeezed out of it) for 24 hours before I smoked them. I smoked them with the skin side down then removed the skin after I smoked them. I would smoke them with hickory chips at 200 degrees for 3 to 4 hours. If you want them to be sweeter tasting like ham sprinkle brown sugar on top of them before smoking them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Woman View Post
    I have a smoker that uses charcoal and I will be using wet hickory chips. Now my question is does anyone have success with smoking sandbass, strippers and saugeye? We caught a few and I want to try smoking them. I pretty well know how to smoke meat but need to know if these fish can be smoked and a recipe for them. Any help will be appreciated. I do love the smoked fish that we had in California but it was ocean fish that I bought at the beach and already smoked. Quite high dollar too.
    fishfinder8,s on the right track.....pat the fillets dry before smoking.....do you live close to any streams that have alder trees growing on the bank.....if so cut some alder and peel the green bark off as to bark will make the fish bitter.....cut the green wood in 10 in pieces and lay on top of your charcoal....spray your racks or grill with pam 1st or any other non stick spray.....

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks to all of you for the good information. Now I have something to go by. Will try it when I get back to the lake in a week or two.