Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Condos high and dry!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Condos high and dry!!

Here's my first attempt at building condos. I went to Lowe's and I have about $20 in them each. I hope to get them wet this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey there Crappie1, Those are some nice looking condos. What size are the pvc and the black pipe?

I have made quite a few with rigid pvc cross pieces and i have stuck the black coil pipe straight into the bucket but I haven't built any like yours yet.

I think I will try to build some like yours.
    CATCH A BIG-UN

Post Thanks / Like

10' Piece of 4" PVC (cut in two 5' sections)
    100' roll of 1" water line (cut in 16 sections)
    40lb bag of QuikCrete
    I had the bucket and I cut it in two.

Pretty easy.......probably took about an hour and half.
    We'll see how well it works when I get them in the water.

Post Thanks / Like

I think those will work great. any way to get the black pipe turned upward to avoid hangups?

Post Thanks / Like

at 10 each you need to get your cost down. Try and find the 5" main stuff free...It's all over the place but the hard stuff to get free in LONG sections is the 1/2" to 1" PVC. If you can get that free too (I just got some 20 foot sections from a restaurant being remolded) then you're only expense should be the concrete. I get the buckets free too. Bu I bought 3, 18 Quart dishpans, make 3 condos at a time and pop them out of the container and reuse them over and over.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the looks of those. I think I have enough stuff to build 5 or 6 of those I belvie. I will check and see tomorrow.
    best of luck with them
    Pete

wishicouldgo Guest

Built about 25 of these in the last 8 years. You are gonna love em. I did turn the 1" stuff pointing up.

Post Thanks / Like

I did one thing I would change on the next ones. The holes in the big pipe are slightly larger than the smaller pipe and the pipe turns pretty easily inside the holes. If they were tight I think I could angle them upward.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Crappie1 ...

if the water line is hard/slick plastic ... you shouldn't have too many hang-ups. Jigs should slide right on over them (and weedless ones certainly will). Hook & sinker rigs might be another deal, altogether ... but, that should depend on the size/gap of the hook.

Talk to local building contractors & plumbing stores/home improvement outlets ... and see if they have any "scrap" PVC that you can take off their hands for free. Also check the stores for damaged bags of "crete" ... sometimes they will discount them, to get them out of stock. Even if they sell them at cost, you both win.
    Got any new homes going up in your area -- do a little dumpster diving and you'll be amazed at what is thrown out.

Lining the "forms" (buckets, pails, pans, bowls) with cheap veg oil or Pam type spays (generic/store brand) will allow you to pop the concrete base out of the "form" - and re-use it. You may also want to put a couple of slightly down pointing PVC "legs" at the base of the center post (just above the concrete) four should be enough ... this will insure that the "tree" doesn't topple over (from current, or getting snagged into with heavy pound test lines). You could substitute the PVC "legs" for the bottom four pieces of water pipe. This would allow you to place the extra pieces of water pipe as another set of "branches" ... and still have the PVC legs as "branches" AND "support legs". You could even drill the holes at the bottom (where you now have the lowest "water pipe branches"), file them out a little at an angle, place the PVC legs in the holes and set the length to reach the ground around the concrete base ... then drop some concrete down the main PVC shaft, enough to cover & hold the PVC legs in place.

Just some random thoughts ...........luck2ya .......... cp

Post Thanks / Like

You could get some conduit and run thru the plastic arms. Put a curve upward in the conduit and your arms will never sag or droop

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast