Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Need new TM, have some questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default Need new TM, have some questions

I need a new TM, my Johnson is shot I guess, the 12 volt speeds work some times and don't others. If I keep my foot on the switch and put it on 24 and then down to 12 it will work but 80% of the time if I lift and then hit it again, no joy. I am wanting a var-speed unit which knocks out a lot of TMs. Has MotorGuide fixed those sloppy mounts? Does anyone have a Minn Kota powerdrive and if so how do you like it. Thought I wanted a All Terrain but no variable speed. Boy they sure have gone up since I bought my last one. The powerdrive is the cheapest variable speed and I like the idea of no cable, just don't know how well they stand up. Thoughts. By the way I really got waxed today. This guy I meet at the launch taking out had his limit and I only had 4. I questioned him and he was using one jig with, looked like 1/2 oz of lead 18" above that and said he was trolling just as slow as his motor would turn.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

MK power drive is the only way to go. If you can afford it, get the auto pilot too. You won't regret it.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

I have a PD55 12 volt on a Fisher 16' DVee. I use it for trolling for walleye. I can troll over 2 mph with it. I do carry two batteries for it. Get a longer shaft than you think you'll need. The front of the boat will come up some when two of you are in the back.
    I point the trolling motor where I want to go(foot controll sits on dash above steering wheel.) and use the main motor for steering. It is really nice and quiet. You can hear what people are saying in the other boats ( kinda like spying).

Steve
    Last edited by Taylor1; 01-26-2006 at 06:29 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Minnkota Riptide Power Drive Auto Pilot with the Co-Pilot feature.

And I would do it all again. Three years of service in sweet and saltwater, no issues.

Post Thanks / Like

STEVEJ You can turn any trolling motor to variable speed with a moto max box. You can get these from vexilar. Web site is www.vexilar.com. This allows you to purchase any type motor and still have the variable speed.

Post Thanks / Like

Got my old Johnson fixed today so I'm back in crappie fishing business. Just needed a switch. I sure thought it was the motor.
    Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff