Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oxbow thoughts

Post Thanks / Like

Default Oxbow thoughts

I wander this. Lets say a river gets into an oxbow once it reaches a certain level. I have heard people say that crappie get replenished into the oxbow and thus the fishing is good. Obviously fish would come into the oxbow but I would think that the majority of fish swimming out in the main channel of the mississippi would be carp, catfish, gar, buffalo, and drum. I would think the game fish in the river would live more up in creeks. But im not a biologist. Does anyone who fishes oxbow lakes notice more crappie after the river gets into it for ahwile? Or is the fishing about the same only with higher water levels?

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if the flooding brings in more crappie that makes the fishing better or the fact that the majority of the flooding occurs in the spring,ie. spawn time which inundates the buckbrush along shore and provides alot of cover for fry to hide in thus increasing numbers.I figure you are right about the rough fish and catfish coming from the river. Anouther thing about alot of these oxbows is that unless the river is at flood stage alot of them can't be accessed.just my 2cts.
    3GD

Post Thanks / Like

Flooding, especially on the Miss River, occurs most often and to a greater degree in spring. This make for perfect conditions to bring new crappie into an oxbow. At this time of the year, the crappie are looking for backwater slough areas to feed and spawn. This pattern draws crappie into an oxbow, whether it is still connected to the river or being flooded. In oxbows with an abundance of buckbrush or willows, such as Midway and Tunica cutoff, flooding will drive the crappie very shallow into the newly flooded vegitation. CEB -

Post Thanks / Like

Oxbows flooded by the river usually produce excellent conditions for spawning, lots of shallow water and cover. So, the flooding not only brings in some new fish, but it helps increase the chances of a good spawn with the fish already in the lake. To me, this helps keep a sustained crappie population that lacks year-to-year changes in class size structure. Oxbows do run through cycles as any other lake, but the cycle of good years lasts longer. Just a thought. CEB -

Post Thanks / Like

Car -- years ago an uncle took me to the White River after it flooded a large hardwood bottom area. I can't even tell you where this was. I was a teenager at the time, but the crappie fishing was incredible. I've been told this is what happens.

Not sure how that relates to oxbows, but it seems related somehow.

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of the Tunica Cutoff....what do you think of it? I know we have mentioned Midway. How would you compare them? I drove down to the cutoff when i was in town rolling the dice (and losing my money) last year just to get a look at it. I found myself in what i guess was a fish camp of some sorts. It had a boat ramp, mobile homes on stilts..cabins on stilts...an old bait shop...and 32 dogs and 17 cats wandering around. Looked cozy....but kinda not sure what to make of it LOL. Everything was on stilts!

Post Thanks / Like

The river might make it up into Midway. By Sunday in Memphis, The Mississippi river is expected to be 22.9 feet. I think it gets into Midway around 24 foot.I don't know if one can launch a boat at Mr. Fowler's boat ramp anymore, he died a few years back. He sure was a good man. It might be tough to launch at Ed's Camp being the water is so low, do to the lack of rain. I might just ride down there this weekend to see what it looks like. Only about a 40 minute ride for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Fishinpox -

I'd like to know what it looks like. I can't wait 'til some water gets put back in there. I was down there at Thanksgiving. I saw some good cover that should be below water line at normal pool. Should be some good fishin when it gets filled back up.

Carp -

I don't know too much about Tunica. Here is a good article about it. Once you click on the link, it is continued on several pages. You can click on the pictures. They give you a good idea of what kind of cover that you'd be dealing with in these lakes. http://www.nighthawkpublications.com...tories32-1.htm

BTW. If I had not known better, I would have thought that you just decribed the boat camp at Ed's on Midway. That is the way all of those boat camps at the small oxbows are. For the most part, they are some of the easiest people to get along with.
    Last edited by ceb; 01-26-2006 at 10:12 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

fishinpox -

I'm originally from WM. My dad is Johnny Brown. Know him?

Post Thanks / Like

Im sure your right Chris....it wasnt the people that threw me off...it was the stilts that everything was elevated on. I realize its for high water. I just dont see that kinda thing in my normal fishing life. And Im a dog and cat lover...so i found it a pleasant visit.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast