Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Capps/Coleman trolling rig

Post Thanks / Like

Default Capps/Coleman trolling rig

Who uses this trolling rig and how do you like it? I have a tournament this weekend and the report I got was the big fish were bitting big jigs in open water. I thought I would try their rig and put a jig on the bottom and a minnow on the top hook.
    B&M Pro Staff
    Driftmaster Pro Staff
    TEAM BAIT PUMP
    MAGNOLIA CRAPPIE CLUB

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I am guessing a Kentucky rig, spider rig, ect. With a weight pegged at the bottom of the line, with 2 hooks above the weight. or jigs, or whatever. I use this rig almost primarily all the time. Works great any time of the year.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

Post Thanks / Like

That is the only rig i use when i slow troll and it is very effective.Have you thought about pulling crankbaits?if the big fish are suspended in open water and hitting big baits you might bust some big slabs with that technique.
    For a full line of fluid beds
    soft plastic, jig heads and more see us at

www.simplycrappie.com

http://stores.ebay.com/Simply-Crappie

Post Thanks / Like

My trolling rig consist of a leader with 3 tag line (loops) and a weight at the bottom, but the Capps/Coleman rig only has 2 hook and the weight is above the bottom hook. They use a 3 way swivel and a tag line is coming off one eye and the other eye has a line with the weight (barrell or egg) above the hook.
    B&M Pro Staff
    Driftmaster Pro Staff
    TEAM BAIT PUMP
    MAGNOLIA CRAPPIE CLUB

David Waters is offline Moderator Shoals Area Crappie Association Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

well, most tournaments have a rule that only allows 2 baits per rod. Just look into that. I alos have had lots of luck with only one jig per rod. Also, don't rule out putting the weight about a foot above the jig. The bait has a little more natural look to it.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association

chaunc is offline 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

My answer to that rig is called a grizzly rig. Just cant beat the colored hair on those hooks. I order mine from their website. For drifting open water these rigs are great.

Post Thanks / Like

I saw that rig on a new DVD I ordered from Crappie store . What is the advantage over the Kentucky rig? As for me I've never trolled for crappie but I'm wanting to learn. I built me a two seat platform and two sets of stainless rod holders for the front of my Ranger boat but as yet it's not been used. I'm still learning! For you guys that live in Tennessee can you tell me how many poles are you allowed to fish at one time ? I'm fishing Barkley Lake in Tennessee.

Post Thanks / Like

The Capps and Coleman rig is the only rig I use for trolling and I use a 10 lb main line and 6lb leaders off of the 3 way swivel and you use a half ounce sinker I use a regular trolling swivel sinker that can be bought at acadamy sports which comes with a swivel built into it The regular rig is with a egg sinker After you use the rig for a while I personally think there is no other way With the big sinker you can get alot of hooks out of the brush by letting a little line out and shaking it gently and if ya use a trolling sinker you can simply and quickly retie and get back fishing quickly because you tie a leader directly to the sinker this is very handy in a tournament On tourny day I have at least 100 pre tied leaders even tho I dont use all I have them ready and if your lake has zebra mussels I have found when you hang up it is better to just break off and retie those things are like razor blades with your line

Post Thanks / Like

Rules state 100 hooks per person. AS of now I don't think there a pole limit. But give them time.
    I fish with 8 to 10 16ft rods all the time.
    PEte

Quote Originally Posted by TAZ
    I saw that rig on a new DVD I ordered from Crappie store . What is the advantage over the Kentucky rig? As for me I've never trolled for crappie but I'm wanting to learn. I built me a two seat platform and two sets of stainless rod holders for the front of my Ranger boat but as yet it's not been used. I'm still learning! For you guys that live in Tennessee can you tell me how many poles are you allowed to fish at one time ? I'm fishing Barkley Lake in Tennessee.

Post Thanks / Like

In case some don't know what it looks like.

Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast