Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: ESP Rods

Post Thanks / Like

Default ESP Rods

I saw on another topic recently an article about ESP rods. I am interested in them and would like any input on them. Sounds like something I would like, but hate to purchase a pole without holding it in my hand. I would be interested in a 9 ft. or the 10.5 ft. Anyone who has one or has used one, I would like to hear from you. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
    I would be interested in a 9 ft. or the 10.5 ft.
    I don't think they make them in that length. Check with crappiepappy. He's the resident expert.

Post Thanks / Like

grizzly jigs has them in there catalog in those lengths.

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Tiger ....

I saw on another topic recently an article about ESP rods. I am interested in them and would like any input on them. Sounds like something I would like, but hate to purchase a pole without holding it in my hand. I would be interested in a 9 ft. or the 10.5 ft. Anyone who has one or has used one, I would like to hear from you. Thanks.
    What specifically do you want to know about them ?? I've been fieldtesting the 6'6" Powerlite & 9' Powerjig ESP rods, so I can tell you about them. But, I'm no sales rep :p ... so, if you want to get into technicalities, I can put you in touch with the owner/designer.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Just wondering how you like them. Are they as sensitive as advertised? Is the extra fast tip an advantage? I fish in heavy cover a lot, was wondering if you think they would be fairly durable. Just anything about them, positives and negatives. Thanks

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Imho .....

They're a really nice rod design.

They're very light weight ... the slip rings allow you to balance the rod with various size/weight reels ... the hook retainer clip keeps you from having to use the guides/guide feet for a hook holder, and it folds down against the blank.

I think the fast action tips are helpful ... and the power is still there, too. Even though the blanks are IM6, the bend is a fast action bend (more towards the tip, top 1/3 of the rod) ... unlike some IM6 rods, that have a parabolic bend (more overall bend thru the top 3/4 of the rod); like for instance a Sam Heaton.

The handle technology (disks surrounding the blank, inside the graphite Tenn handle, and touching the graphite handle, inside) makes for a very sensitive rod. The disks amplify/transmit any vibration, thru the rod blank - thru the disks - into the graphite handle.

The "poodle tail" handle extension can be used for leverage, and to help rest the rod handle under your forearm (when vertical jigging). They work OK in a rod holder, but can be cumbersome to quickly remove. Those with the "poodle tail" can be difficult to fish with, when sitting down & holding the rod to fish, as they tend to be longer handled than what you might be used to, so they can hang on your clothing or body ... but, when (standing) casting or jigging, they're less noticable, and in some instances are a plus.

The guides are unique ... the big line gathering guide is a ceramic insert type, then the others up the rod are Chromium SS .... the tip eye is a ceramic insert type. The tip eye is of a very small diameter ... so some "bobber stoppers" won't go thru them, easily. But, they're really not designed for that, anyway. They seem more designed towards casting, jigging, tightlining, or other "free line" types of methods (free line meaning just line/bait). The ceramic guides are at either end, because that's where most of the line/guide contact is greatest. The other guides are the Chromium SS to reduce weight, yet still provide little friction.

The slip rings on the handle allow you to move the reel foward/back, to achieve balance with various size/weight reels ... but, they are subject to slipping off or being knocked off ... so I still tape them down with elec. tape. Even so, I still prefer the Tenn Handle design, over a fixed reel seat design.

... cp

Post Thanks / Like

I will 2nd. CP's endorsement on the Tenn. handles with rings, even a heavy rod will fish better balanced out vs. a lighter rod unbalanced. I guarantee that handle system will transmit better than any others. Sounds like a fast action blank as well.
    "Never Fry Bacon Naked"

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the information guys. I will probably have one before next spring. Where is the best place to order one. Also, do you have an email address or website for the company? Thanks again.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for the information guys. I will probably have one before next spring. Where is the best place to order one. Also, do you have an email address or website for the company? Thanks again.
    HOME 1-800-305-9866
    "Never Fry Bacon Naked"