Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Fishing lights during the day,.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fishing lights during the day,.

Just wondering if anyone has ever dropped their lights during the day and had any luck drawing the fish in? Or is it all depending on the feeding pattern. Thanks, TF

CrappiePappy is offline Super Moderator - 2013 Man Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb I Wouldn't think it necessary ...

since the lights don't draw fish ... they draw phytoplankton, which the minnows feed on - which, in turn, draws the attention of the nearby predator fish. A light in the daytime wouldn't necessarily help much, I don't think. Crappie look for ambush spots, during the time of light, preferring shade to hide in (be it from depth or cover). Low light times (as in cloudy skies) are better left alone, because this allows the Crappie to come shallower, yet still feel secure. Even a light chop on the water's surface will diffuse any sunlight, making it a little darker under the water. My Grandfather used to call them "Newlight waves" (meaning the Crappie ...aka Newlights ... would/could be in a more positive feeding mood, because of the waves creating a kind of shade, and bringing them shallower). The disturbance of the waves on the surface can also help highlight any baitfish swimming above the Crappie. Baitfish, like Shad & minnows, have a white belly - to blend in with the background of the sky ... which is broken up and made darker by the waves, making the baiftish more visable against that darker background.
    That's just IMHO, of course ... luck2ya ..... cp