Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crappie Rods

Post Thanks / Like

Default Crappie Rods

Would like to hear opinions on preferred crappie poles. In the last 5 months we have atempted to use Bn M poles 12 ft long for spider rigging. Having problem with rods breaking about six inches above middle connection when setting hook. If you have a special brand of pole, would like to hear your your experiences. Thanks

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what to tell you. I would have recommended B&M. I have some Hi-Tech rods that are not graphite that I like also, there just too heavy to hand hold all day. They work well in my holders.
    Give a man a fish, feed him for a day.
    Teach a man to fish, he'll sit in a boat and drink beer all day.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Billr,

If your breaking poles in the same place while setting the hook there is a good chance that they are getting damaged in some way just enough to cause them to break when pressure is applied.

I had the same problem in my old boat. Found out that the corner of the back storage lid was bouncing open just enough to allow a rod to get pinched under the edge.

There was no obvious damage to the poles but they would break in the same place when pressure was applied. I finally figured out what was causing the problem and fixed the boat so the rods couldn't get pinched.

In the boat I have now I've had a couple rods get broken from small kids leaning against them while they are in the storage holders on the side of my boat.

I have had really good service out of B&M poles and unless you are using very heavy line I don't think you can break one before the line breaks if you are holding it by the handle and not part way up the pole. They will bend until the tip is all the way back to the handle without breaking unless they've been damaged previously.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Cool B&M poles

I agree 100% with what Jerry said about breakage. I have been using these poles for several years and have had good results. I mostly vertical jig in the winter and spring in Florida. I use there 10&11 foot poles. I have had some breakage but it is generally because they were pinched some way, stepped on etc. A lot of time they may not show damage but are weakened to the point that they will snap when a lot of pressure is applied. I like the light weight of these poles.
    Joe

Post Thanks / Like

We have been very careful in storing and transporting the rods. We find it kind of ironic that we use other rod brands and have had no problems. We would like to stay with B n M, we like the feel and action of these rods. Cabela's has been very good about replacing. Thanks for your thoughts, I will pay closer attention to the daily life of these poles and may be able to pinpoint a problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Default fly rod

i've always heard good things about BnM but i've always used a 12 to 14 ft fly rod with a closed face spinning reel. it's a great combo. and you can get a good fly rod for about 30 bucks and a reel for about 15 to 40 ive been using the same two combos for 10 years now and never had a problem.
    fighting for this country(it can't always be someone ELSE'S SON)
    keep on fishin

Post Thanks / Like

Bill, what kind of B'n'M Pole are you using for trolling? While trolling, moving baits in water, snagging on cover while moving, and catching bigger fish puts excessive stress on poles. I highly recommend the B'n'M Pro Staff Trolling Rods because they are made to handle all those things for trolling. The jigging poles are for jigging around structures. Hope this helps.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used several different poles to spider rig & have had good luck out of the 12' B&M's. I also bought 2- 12' B&M West Point rods this spring. They are a glass rod and seem to be very tough. Yesterday I was in Nashville & stopped at BPS & bought 4-14' Walley Marshall Tightline Special Rods. I haven't had a chance to try them out yet but I think I'm gonna like'm.
    Crappie Stomper Guide Service
    Crappie Fish'n With Attitude!!!
    https://www.facebook.com/crappiestomper
    ACC Crappie Stix Pro Staff
    Corn Field Crappie Gear Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Crappie Chaser
    Bill, what kind of B'n'M Pole are you using for trolling? While trolling, moving baits in water, snagging on cover while moving, and catching bigger fish puts excessive stress on poles. I highly recommend the B'n'M Pro Staff Trolling Rods because they are made to handle all those things for trolling.
    I agree with CC on the pro staff trolling rods. I have 2 of these and they are tough to beat. my .02 worth
    Fishing is a way of life. Teach your grandchildren to fish, hunt and enjoy the outdoors

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Billr
    Would like to hear opinions on preferred crappie poles. In the last 5 months we have atempted to use Bn M poles 12 ft long for spider rigging. Having problem with rods breaking about six inches above middle connection when setting hook. If you have a special brand of pole, would like to hear your your experiences. Thanks
    I have 1 question ,what weight line are you using ? I fish jigs with 4lb test and break poles too but, they have been damaged I think. Its strange that I've had some a long time and get a new one and it breaks first hook set! With 4lb test it sounds crazy , but has happened to me . I fish several days a week so my tackle gets a work out. I still love the lite weight bucks poles.
    When I used to troll ( spider rigging ), I used plain sectioned 14' and 16' BnM Blackwidow poles/no reels. Rigged them with 14lb test and had no problems. I ran as many as 12 poles at a time too.:D
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast