Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best boat for older folks?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best boat for older folks?

My folks (mom and pops, pops wants to more likely) want to get a boat of their own sum day and tow it behind their RV whenever they go campin. My Pops is 60 sumthin years old and my mom is 5 years older than the Racoon (54). They both have limited boating experience and skill but want to give it a try anyways( if patience btwn the two can take it). They would like to go saltwater fishing in the ocean/sounds/estuary in a boat as well as some bream feeshin like they did when they were dating back in the 70s and 80s. What can be towed behind a RV, be easier for older folks to handle, load on trailer in rough condtions, and safe enough for them to feesh out of for light saltwater use? My pops can drive a boat either tiller or steering wheel pretty good. It has to be some what easy for my pops to work on if sumthin was to give him the fits. I know it wont be a jon boat after next weeks trip in my boat to the OBX. I heard stick steer boats are fine for older anglers. is that true?
    Oh I could wrestle a monster fish

Post Thanks / Like

Lotta boats out there that could fit the bill, but the size will be dictated more by the RV he plans to pull it behind. Length limits in all states and some that don't allow "doubles" at all. The longer the tow vehicle/trailer...the shorter the boat needs to be. I haul my tracker behind my 5th wheel, and in some states I'm illegal. Some things to think about anyway.

A good stable deep V seems like the ticket if they want to do some big water fishing. Just my 2 cents.

Life has many choices, eternity has two...choose wisely.
    Unapplied biblical truth is like unapplied paint...how many gallons do you have sittin' around? U.D.

Post Thanks / Like

Since you added in the saltwater option, check out the Carolina Skiffs. They have stick steers in 3 different models and several lengths. Also have Center Console, side console and single console options as well. Just have to surf through all the options. The companies website is pretty shottie as far as pics go. If you find a model that interest ya check traderonline and you will see better pics. Also some great info on carolinaskiffowners forum.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by huntinslabs View Post
    Since you added in the saltwater option, check out the Carolina Skiffs. ............
    Also some great info on carolinaskiffowners forum.
    I had a Carolina skiff. It was unsinkable, and the options are endless. You basicaly lay the boat out how you want it and they install the deck, seats, console where YOU want it. It was extremely stable and moving around in the boat didn't balance issues. It also drafts very shallow (like 6" deep the entire length). The boat handled white capping water well. I could run full throttle and it would get on top of the waves instead of busting through them.
    That being said. It is a wet boat. VERY wet boat. You can be running on glass topped water, hit a 2" ripple and its gonna shoot water straight out the front and you are gonna run right into it.
    Also, the boats are hard to trailer without tearing up the front lip. Ask around.

Post Thanks / Like

Good things come to those who bait.

skeetbum is offline Crappie.com Legend - Moderator Jig Tying Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm going with the idea of a used boat. Lots of options out there but I'll give you the first one that came to mind when I read your post. A 15 or 16' tri hull with a walk thru windshield is a versatile boat and can be personalized for cheap too. A 70 hp will push them fine and run cheap. A piece of plywood in the forward section gives you a deck and easy reach for a TM. The back to back seats can be pulled and replaced with 2 solo seats to open up the back. And best of all, stability is their middle name. Just some input, good luck with your search.
    Creativity is just intelligence fooling around

Post Thanks / Like

Boston Whaler would be my choice if they're going to put it in the salty water. Very stable and unsinkable!

Make sure they get a galvanized trailer to go in the salt!

Aluminum and salt don't go together too well, fiberglass is the way to go in saltwater.

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GCD View Post
    Boston Whaler would be my choice if they're going to put it in the salty water. Very stable and unsinkable!
    Make sure they get a galvanized trailer to go in the salt!

Aluminum and salt don't go together too well, fiberglass is the way to go in saltwater.
    If you go this route be sure and buy a western saddle..You will need it riding this bucking bronco...
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Brooksville, FL (Originally from Terre Haute, IN.)
    Post Thanks / Like

Carolina is my choice. Safe and plenty of room. I'm sure someone in your area from CC would give you and your dad a ride. I found mine on "boattrader.com" The guy who was the previous owner kept good care of it.

Good luck and safe boating.

Chuck
    From Steve Wunderele - 10-2-84 --"A fishing trip maybe brief, but it's memories are endless."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DonG View Post
    If you go this route be sure and buy a western saddle..You will need it riding this bucking bronco...
    When was the last time you took a ride in one?... 1947?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast