Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good experience with commercial Stinkbait?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Good experience with commercial Stinkbait?

Has anyone had any luck with the commercial stinkbait purchased at a local baitshop / wally world?

I purchased some Premo Super Sticky Original (Cheap kind from Wal-Mart) the other week and used it on some cats one night with a friend. We caught about 6 in 3 hours. The lake we fish gets lots of fishing pressure and that was the best luck we have had in awhile.

Since I had such good luck I decided to purchase some of the expensive 'Secret 7' that's all the rave lately and give it a shot the past weekend. We didn't have crap for luck compared to the cheap stinkbait I purchased, we didn't even get a bite.

I have googled alot of catfishing tips, and ran across people using cut bait more than anything. Which we haven't tried.

Anyone have any experience with these stinkbaits, or have some general tips?

Post Thanks / Like

Don't give up on the secret 7. Its a good bait. Cut shad and skipjack is a good cut bait. You might want to try some shrimp soaked in garlic powder a couple of days. Don't be shy on moving to different spots on the lake or rivers you fish.

Post Thanks / Like

try cherry chicken or cherry shrimp its good stuff....eating size will tear it up

Post Thanks / Like

I will try those ideas, we had tried chicken liver and night crawlers with no avail that night and decided to try the cheap Premo. To our surprise the Premos is all they were hitting.

We also went Wednesday after a storm and got skunked all day, I had assumed because of the morning storm/cloud cover the temps were alot cooler than usual which gave the fish plenty of time to feed.

Post Thanks / Like

Mullet is a go to bait when everything else fails. Try it you will like it.

Post Thanks / Like

for farm pond or small lake fihing, dip baits are hard to beat. the hog wild in catalpa is great. I also like sonny,s super stickey if you can find it. believe it or not, ivory soap has worked for me in the past. But if you fish in much current, the dipbaits wash off. I gave up on the little guys, so all I use for bait is skipjack, shad, perch or shrimp.

Post Thanks / Like

Secret 7 is dang good stuff. If they're around it gets a bite. If they're not around, you won't catch 'em. I find good stink baits bring them in and will hold them in the area while you wear them out. Check the cooler full of blues and channels in my picture here:

South Carolina's Hot Shallow Water Catfish

Also it'd be worth the read for some tips, the pattern can be found anywhere.

Post Thanks / Like

Dip baits, and stinkbaits work, and will catch plenty of eater sized fish. Sometimes it will outfish anything in the boat, I always have a wide variety of baits when going after channels. For big fish, you need live or cut bait.
    HAND TIED CRAPPIE JIGS CRAPPIECOLLECTORS JIGS

https://www.etsy.com/shop/CRAPPIECOL...g_id=515350944

Post Thanks / Like

Catfish Charlie - Blood or Cheese

NIMROD is offline Crappie.com Legend - Kids Corner Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like

Hard to beat natural baits such as Catalpa Worms . Best thing is they can be collected for free. Channel Cats usually are'nt picky feeders. I do well on Shad , Minnows, (Chicken or Turkey) Livers, Shrimp, worms and some luck with prepared dough or dip baits. I do not add any Garlic, Koolaid, or any other flavors or scents to my baits. Catfish smell better than any bird dog there is . If they are hungry they will find your bait.
    Try baiting a hole ahead of time and you can really boost your catch. Soured wheat or right out of the sack sweet feet works great.

This is a trip where ,my buddy WW and I limited out one day last week. We limit out quite often.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...rodLake012.jpg
    Last edited by NIMROD; 07-25-2010 at 06:10 AM.
    Moderator of Beginners n Mentoring forum
    Takeum Jigs

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast