Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Pitch Prop (?)

Post Thanks / Like

Default New Pitch Prop (?)

I got my 25hp Bass Tracker-17 tuned up a couple weeks ago, and it starts & runs great. The motor had a really-trashed 10x13 aluminum prop, and ran about 18mph. When the prop was new, 24mph was normal.

So, I ordered a new stainless 10x13 prop. Problem is, the boat would now go only 8mph (tough on Lake Shelbyville!), and the engine RPM's was about 1/2 what I'm used to.

I took it back in, and they told me I needed a different pitch, as the engine was lugging. They put on an 11-pitch, and said the boat went on plane & ran good.

I'm concerned that I just lost 20% of my speed, and confused why it ran good with the trashed Al prop.

Can anyone explain this to me?
    aim for heaven, and you'll get earth thrown in. Aim for earth and you'll get neither.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like there's something wrong with the motor if you can't get the same RPMs with the same pitch prop. Might check to make sure the throttle is opening all the way - maybe the cable needs adjustment.
    FISH ON!
    Jerry Blake

www.BLAKETOURS.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pgottshall View Post
    I got my 25hp Bass Tracker-17 tuned up a couple weeks ago, and it starts & runs great. The motor had a really-trashed 10x13 aluminum prop, and ran about 18mph. When the prop was new, 24mph was normal.

So, I ordered a new stainless 10x13 prop. Problem is, the boat would now go only 8mph (tough on Lake Shelbyville!), and the engine RPM's was about 1/2 what I'm used to.

I took it back in, and they told me I needed a different pitch, as the engine was lugging. They put on an 11-pitch, and said the boat went on plane & ran good.

I'm concerned that I just lost 20% of my speed, and confused why it ran good with the trashed Al prop.

Can anyone explain this to me?
    good question!!

if there is nothing wrong with the engine or fuel delivery system then here a formula to figure out what pitch you need!

divide the MAX RPM's the motor should be run at into the current rpm's and multiply that times the pitch you have and that will give you the pitch you need assuming there is nothing else wrong!!

hope this helps!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I really don't think there's anything wrong with the motor, as it's running very smooth, & they checked the cable for me.
    aim for heaven, and you'll get earth thrown in. Aim for earth and you'll get neither.

Cane Pole is offline Crappie.com 2011 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

on line pitch calculator. works good too. went thru the prop crap last year.

Propeller Calculator / Prop Calculator
    Member BS Pro-Staff and Billbob Pro-Staff
    Proud Member of Team Geezer... authorized by: billbob and "G"

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Its NOT the new prop if its the same size.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hey Canepole

What prop did you end up with?

Post Thanks / Like

I believe if you switch to stainless, you need to drop a size in pitch.
    Might be worth seeing if you can borrow a lower pitch prop to try out

Barnacle Bill is offline Super Mod and 2014 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eeyore View Post
    I believe if you switch to stainless, you need to drop a size in pitch.
    Might be worth seeing if you can borrow a lower pitch prop to try out
    Not on a motor that small. Besides 1" change of pitch = a change of 200 RPM. I strongly believe he is dropping a cylinder under load.
    Fair Winds and Following Seas

Bill H. PTC USN Ret
    Chesapeake, Va

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Barnacle Bill View Post
    Not on a motor that small. Besides 1" change of pitch = a change of 200 RPM. I strongly believe he is dropping a cylinder under load.
    I don't know enough about boats to say whether its the same for small engines, but I read that 1" pitch change = 200 RPM.
    I'm not allowed a fishing boat, family has to be able to enjoy it as well, so I'll settle for my old 120 HP runabout really need to save some pennies and fit a trolling motor to it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast