Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: What a Difference a Day Makes!

Post Thanks / Like

Default What a Difference a Day Makes!

Started out around sunrise this AM along Mud Point again in small squalls and a 15-knot easterly - but by nine we only had four fair reds in the box. By then, though, the tide had started falling, and we found a little school of them eating cocahoes in a small pocket at the mouth of a coulee - got four more in abouit 15 minutes, popping shrimp-tipped jigs. Then we got out butts pounded getting back across the bay.
    So the bay is promising - but not yet fly fishable. A little more clarity, a little more salinity, and a little less water would sure help.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the post Pete. Hope it gets good so that I can go in my small boat.

Post Thanks / Like

Pete are you putting in at ICY? Just wondering how long you had to get your butt pounded. The wife and I used (key word used) to fish Redfish Point, The Pass, The Keys, and T-Butte in a 16' flat, so we are familiar with the butt poundings. Oh when your young and dumb and the Good Lord is watching over you.
    Leave two for seed. Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, Bruce, I often wonder how I survived my dose of "young and dumb"!
    My run is not nearly as long as yours were - usually back and forth from the mouth of the canal that leads from the old river-channel past the two camps and then the tank battery on the edge of Little Bay to either Mud Point, Buck Point, or the bay's western shoreline. No more than two miles, I'd imagine, but in a side-sea or head-on chop it's tough in a 15-foot aluminum skiff.
    I'll get over it with a day off and then be ready to do it again. "Old and dumb", or has a guy just gotta do what a guy's just gotta do?
    By the way, you might get a kick out of my article in the July issue of Louisiana Life magazine.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Pete that is a great artical, I enjoyed reading that at 3 am on the night shift while we are underway to Desoto Canyon 432 to ride Bonnie out. I have a couple of those fly rods myself, hand me downs from my dad and even a heavy one I bought to fish for Reds in the bay and Grand Isle. I never have caught any Reds, but I have caught a few Rainbows on summer trips to Branson, MO. with my folks. I guess I am going to have to break out those rods and atleast clean them up, there might be a few bream at Larto that would hit a poping bug.
    Leave two for seed. Bruce

Post Thanks / Like

Glad you liked it, Bruce.
    Good luck with Bonnie - I remember having to duck those things when I was a drilling foreman for Gulf - a real pain in the butt!
    Pete

PawPaw Gene is offline Crappie.com 2012 Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Pete, thanks for the reminder about Louisiana Life, I had forgotten to look at the latest issue. I've been busy lately. I really enjoy it, and it's led Linda and I to many interesting places around the state. We've been known to travel to Franklinton in search of a true Washington Parish watermelon. north of Baton Rouge to pick blueberries and through the Long Leaf Pine forest of west central La. Like I said, I like the Magazine and used to get the paper version.
    "gene"
    "G" Gone but not forgotten!!