Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Helpful Map Reading Information

Post Thanks / Like

Default Photo of a good fishing spot at Patoka Lake in Southern IN

I found an old newspaper article that was in the my files. I thought I would scan some of the images and post them in the forum for us to look at, study, and maybe discuss them. Not sure if you all already know this type of information or not. There are topographic type map drawing of several areas on Patoka Lake in Southern Indiana. These type of spots are common in a lot of the flatland and hillland type lakes in the USA. These drawing cover a lot of the things about where fish spend their time that is discussed in the In-Fisherman books and TV programs as well as that which was discussed in the old Fishing Facts Magazine that I use to subscribe to. Now when I started doing this I had problems with getting the scans down to the size that would work in this forum. I finally scanned them in Black and White and saved them in smaller file sizes to get them to upload to this forum. Wish that I could upload them in larger file sizes but I understand why there are limites. Computer storage is not cheap and we are very lucky to have this web site and this forum to use. Most of the other fishing forums are not so easy to us.

Note: I finally posted all 8 of the drawings in the Indiana Discussion Board. I finally figured out how to use Paint Shop Pro 8.1 to make selections and save the selection as a new image which really speeded things up. Before I was scanning parts of the page and each time the file was too big I had to rescan it. Scanning takes a lot more time than using PPS8 to cut and paste and save sections of a scan. I am new to using Paint Shop Pro and the learning curve is steep.

I was hoping to discuss these map or have other's discuss them in Detail. I have noticed a lot of people are viewing the pictures but not saying anything. Well that is ok too. I will end up discussing these 8 different spots in the future and try to get the discussion going.

Hope these drawings help some of you guys in reading and using topo maps. A good topo map is a necessity these days. It takes a lot of time to study a topomap and to find spots to fish and test. But eventually you will learn a lake and know where to fish and when to fish each spot. Time of the year can make a difference.

But one thing that I remember that Buck Perry use to say. The fish are somewhere in the deep water or the shallow water or somewhere inbetween. Now at first glance that seems like a rather broad statment that applies to the entire lake. But what he was saying was this: Find a spot that drops off and or a point that extents out into the lake All the way to the deepest water in the area and you have found a good spot to fish. Fish can go up the point into shallow water to feed and have a path back into the deeper water to go to rest and escape predators. Fish's predators other than man are Eagles and Hawks that fly overhead and can swoop down and pick a fish out of the water. Or cormorants that swim and chase the fish underwater. Fish feel safer in deeper water where the birds of prey can't reach them as readily. So they spend a lot of their time in the deeper water where they are safe.

All 8 figures that I posted in the IN discussion board have these qualitys. Deep water next to shallow water shelves or flats or points.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Moose1am; 10-15-2004 at 10:41 AM. Reason: added more information
    Regards,

Moose1am

Post Thanks / Like

Default Drawings of Fishing Spots on Pataka Lake

Was trying to change the title of this thread but could not figure out how to do that.
    Regards,

Moose1am