Thread: Check out this fish!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Check out this fish!

http://www.wmi.org/nonfishing/T61671.htm

This is a hoss for sure.

Larry

Post Thanks / Like

not a crappie?

Billbob is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2013 Guber Of The Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

did they shoot it
    PROUD MEMBER OF TEAM GEEZER

Crappie.com Pro Staff
    Guber Pro Staff
    Cane Pole Pro Staff
    Haulin Ash Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Here is a pic of one shot in the Mississippi River a few years back. I want to say it was around 200 lbs, caught some where around St. Louis. Them things are huge, I hate to be swimming and have one clamp down on ya.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Larry-Southern Indiana
    http://www.wmi.org/nonfishing/T61671.htm

This is a hoss for sure.

Larry
    I found the stats on the fish from your pic:

Sam Rayburn Lake record and BAA World Record Alligator Gar. 8'2", 244.5 lbs, and 44.75" girth.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

man, how did they get that thing in, what did they catch it with. That is a huge fish
    Hey where's my float.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TAE73
    Here is a pic of one shot in the Mississippi River a few years back. I want to say it was around 200 lbs, caught some where around St. Louis. Them things are huge, I hate to be swimming and have one clamp down on ya.
    Here's the link to the info on the one in this pic.. http://www.thejump.net/fishing/1fish...ish-pic-15.htm
    :D Give a man a crappie you feed him for a day...teach a man to fish for crappie and get rid of him for the weekend!!!

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I've bow fished alot and that would definitely be the greatest thrill landing a fish like that, definitely a once-in-a-lifetime thing. But then you gotta think....that's one great fish that wont be replaced anytime soon. In a way, it would be ashamed to kill it too. Atleast he got a record out of it. :o
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nope It Ain't No Crappie

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Carp
    not a crappie?
    But I'll bet that sucker eats 50 a day. Glad we don't have em up here that big...izzy

Post Thanks / Like

That's one big Gator Gar. There are some guides who specialize in fishig for them. This months episode of In-Fisherman is supposed to highlight a GatorGar fishing expedition with Captain Kirk who posts on Gar forums at www.bowfinanglers.com

Field and Stream also had a good article on them about 6 months ago about two bank fisherman.

A rare fish that only appears around the Mississippi river and tributaries. I see a lot of posts from people around here who catch a large longnose who think they've caught a gator gar. Gar is supposed to be a pretty popular food fish around Louisiana.
    Last edited by Bowfin; 01-26-2006 at 08:30 AM.
    John 21:3
    Simon Peter said to them, "I am going fishing." They said to him, "We are going with you also." They went out and immediately got into the boat, and that night they caught nothing.

And we act like this Nightstalking thing is new.

For some excitment, read the next verse. A special guest arrived, they filled their coolers and had a fish fry on the beach...in the morning. My kind of people.- Bowfin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast