Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Africans doing Good

azslabber is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Africans doing Good

Here's a picture of some half grown African Nightcrawlers.These are about 3 1/2 months old.I've been waiting for them to get bigger and now they are.As you can see,they never sit still.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    "Garden Hackler"lol

Post Thanks / Like

Are these the same ones you recieved in the mail?... or did those not make it?

What species of fish do you target with these? The only time I use woms is when I go up to Canada to fish for Walleye.

Post Thanks / Like

This was one turn over with the claw,there was a lot of worms in that scoop.Some more little ones and some big ones.I'm not sure how many of the ones that I recently got in the mail made it.When I turn all the bedding over in the next couple of weeks,I'll get a better idea.Everything eats these things.I target gills and catfish.
    "Garden Hackler"lol

Post Thanks / Like

What kind of 'dirt' did you have in your worm bed?
    I have some sandy soil, some that was a compost pile a year or so ago, and lots of Chicken litter, Goat litter and Rabbit litter.
    What else would I put in a Worm bed?
    How big? 3' long, 2' wide and 2' deep box about half full of dirt?
    I understand the corn meal and wet news paper.
    How about keeping them cool. Lordy it's as hot here right now as it is in AZ.

I don't have a basement, and SHMBO wont have them inside at all.

Maybe I could just dig the worm bed into the ground, sink the wooden box down into the hole and keep that in the shade eh?
    Throw a bag of Ice in there once every three days?
    I just wish I could be better at fishing. Or maybe luckier!:D

Post Thanks / Like

I got a bag of organic topsoil at Walmart and shredded newspaper.My first bed was mostly that topsoil,my mistake.But,they did fairly well.After 6 months I took it all out and sifted the capsules out and picked the worms.I used about half a small bag of the same topsoil,small bag like $2.00 and all the rest was shredded newspaper.Up to about 6 inches deep.They do much better with that formula.Mine stay indoors.
    "Garden Hackler"lol

Post Thanks / Like

We have a Strawberry bed in an old bathtub. Would that be a good worm bed as well as a strawberry bed?Name:  strawberry bed..jpg
Views: 2649
Size:  125.7 KB

Can the Worms and the strawberries co-habitat:p?

shipahoy41 is offline Crappie.com Legend - 2022 Crappie.com Man of the Year * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thudpucker View Post
    We have a Strawberry bed in an old bathtub. Would that be a good worm bed as well as a strawberry bed?Name:  strawberry bed..jpg
Views: 2649
Size:  125.7 KB

Can the Worms and the strawberries co-habitat:p?

Yes plus the castings will be great for them. Novel idea. Now all you need is the shower falling water on them.
    Aquatic Species Removal Engineer.
    May God be with you. Keep CALM and STAY ANCHORED with your faith.

Post Thanks / Like

I put two containers of Red Wigglers in that Bathtub today.

I got a five gallon bucket out of the Goat pen, another Five gallon bucket out of the Chicken coop and two gallons of 'Sink' drain water and mixed it into the Bathtub with the dirt she bought from Lowes some time ago.

We have four inches of the Sandy soil in the bottom. The Water all goes to the Sandy soil so the top is dry.

I guess I'll just have to wait a few days to see if my "Worm Farm" is going to work.
    I don't have a cover on it. and it still faces west.

Maybe this Winter I'll move it if the Worms don't survive the summer heat.

Are there any special plants a guy should put in with the worms?

Post Thanks / Like

Redworms are a composting worm,you could fill that whole tub up with dried goat manure and they will eat it all up and turn it into the best topsoil that you have ever had.It's got to be dried first so it won't heat up while drying.Rabbit manure is the best.As long as it has been dried out first.
    "Garden Hackler"lol

Post Thanks / Like

Don't bother with soil, use peat moss or even better coconut coir fiber. Mix in a bunch of compost, dried out like AZ said and the worms will eat their way to happiness. As for plants, have fun, anything will grow in the once the worms have eaten a good portion of it. The CC fiber will make it easy to plant and easy to dig in there to get the worms out for fishing.

Just be aware that fertilizers can kill the worms in a closed container. So will a lot of pesticides.
    I love taking my kids fishing, now if I could just manage to fish at the same time.