PDA

View Full Version : Twain - 7/18

Route U
07-19-2010, 08:24 AM
What an adventurous day overall.......... buddy picked me up at 5 bells for the 45 minute ride over to the cabin. I'm sure you have all heard the saying "Red sky in the morning, sailor take warning"? Well that played true..... a nasty storm ripped through, leaving us sitting at the ramp for about an hour while she blew through.

Finally on the water around 7:30 ish..... stopped at a couple flooded points to see if the fish were still there..... couple dinks and a kitty cat... onto the next spot. Bam, Bam, Bam..... dink, dink, dink.... ran again, found a few better fish..... about noon, decided to be stubborn and go back and sort through the dinks. From noon to 4:00, we easily boated 150-175fish....almost all dinks....... BUT..... for every 20 dinks, I caught not just a good fish, but a hammer.

No scale on my buddy's boat, but best 7 fish were (2) 15 2/3, (2) 15's, and
(3) 14 1/3's..... woulda been quite the tournament sack, especially for Twain.

Hope to have pictures today.

Never touched a minner......... all on black/chart, red/white, red/chart...and the bigger key to it all for me was the hi-vis line... buddy hard a hard time picking up on the bite when they would take it on the drop (using regular mono).

Seemed as though the bigger fish (guessing here) liked a more vertical presentation close to the trees, but the smaller fish would hit just about anything.

If you have kids, take them out now......... they'll have a ball, just don't plan on fishin yourself.

U

C N
07-19-2010, 08:26 AM
Thanks for the report. It's fun just catching especially when you get some hawgs every now and again. Can't wait to see the pics.

Jigging15
07-19-2010, 09:02 AM
Sounds like a good trip with some bigun's to.

Double D
07-19-2010, 10:59 AM
Good job U, how's things over in Quincy?

Smitty 79
07-19-2010, 11:26 PM
Good job way to wade through the dink to get some bigguns!!

bugman
07-20-2010, 04:07 AM
Sounds like it was a chore to wade through that many dinks but in the end it was worth it,that was one heck of a string anywhere in the state of Mo.

Route U
07-20-2010, 08:44 AM
DD,

Things are good over here (besides being classified as an Illinois resident). Starting to gear up for the fall migration already.......... I've got the waterfowl flu worse than the fishin bug...

I'm still workin on getting some pics up guys...... bear with me!

U

Route U
07-20-2010, 08:56 AM
Let's see if this works..........

http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx280/RouteU/Fishing/TwainToads.jpg

C N
07-20-2010, 09:36 AM
nice fish! :)

Double D
07-20-2010, 10:44 AM
Nice fish buddy. I hear ya on the waterfowl, teal season is just around the corner. If the misses and I come over to see her folks after we get the kids off to college, I will try to maybe hook up and have a beer.

south point
07-20-2010, 11:39 AM
"red sky in the mornin".... I made the same comment on the way to twain, got caught in the same wonderful weather. felt sorry for a couple of fellers who had smaller boats, the wind was viscous. had about the same results as u, U. but you beat us on the size, my biggest was a shade under 14", but a couple of bigger ones got away, as usual. and we only brought home 25 fish out of three limits. Holy shad schools, batman!!

Route U
07-20-2010, 01:27 PM
SP,

Once the storm cleared a bit, looked out onto the lake and saw a couple boats that had made an early morning of it.........tied up underneath the bridge. I'm not one to be too concerned with the storms (unless I have family with me), but this one came in quick with some serious lightning!

As for the baitfish.......haven't seen them like this in a long, long time! Did a little night-light fishing 3 weeks ago up in South Fork and the bait ball was incredible! Should make for some bigger fish (I hope)!

Looks as though the lake is on a rise again......which I love!

U

south point
07-20-2010, 09:03 PM
yeah, that storm was movin fast!! I was up the middle fork, 5 miles from south fork access, when we turned back. my boat runs about 40 wide open,which we were the whole run,and that storm passed me in lesss than 2 miles. by the time we got back to the ramp, the waves were coming over the sides of my boat. had about 6 " water in the backof the boat after the rain moved off.got tto enjoy most of it from my truck,drinkin coffee with jon. Man I love a good thunderstorm, that was a doozy. hey, did you have any luck with the night fishin? camping at indian creek the last weeend of july, might give it another shot. never had much luck at night up there, but then again ,only tried a few times. luck to you!

beagle man
07-21-2010, 08:32 AM
nice report, sometimes when I dont catch many keepers, I kinda miss the days of dink vill catching, glad you got out and had a good time.

Route U
07-21-2010, 09:10 AM
SP,

Last weekend of July might work out for ya...... looks like the lake is going to hit 628, or higher depending on anymore rain, so if it comes up and then clears up a little bit, the bite should be on again.

Three weeks ago, Dad and Brother pulled cranks as the sky darkened... then tied up around some wood and dropped the light and had a lot of fun.

Picture of my brother with a nice Twain slab.

http://i763.photobucket.com/albums/xx280/RouteU/Fishing/Luke.jpg

Tons of baitfish and then the crappie showed up about a half hour after the bait..... they did pretty well. Two weeks ago Dad and I went out and did the same thing, but didn't stay out all night as we had to be up and movin early that next day..... fished till midnight, caught a decent amount of crappie and some kitty-kat's.....

I'll keep ya informed on the lake............ think Dad and Bro are headed this weekend again.

U

south point
07-21-2010, 09:19 PM
nice fish, looks like a bandit hangin out of his mouth. be safe in germany.

Route U
07-22-2010, 01:03 PM
Nice fish buddy. I hear ya on the waterfowl, teal season is just around the corner. If the misses and I come over to see her folks after we get the kids off to college, I will try to maybe hook up and have a beer.

DD,

I must have missed this, my bad. Are you originally from the area or just know a bunch of Quincyans...... can't remember if you said you had relatives around here or not?

Either way, if you guys make it over, give me a holler. We can get together and tell some lies.

U