Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Mornings catch

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mornings catch

Went to the lake about 8:30 and only had 1 keeper the first 2 hrs, mainly playing with my new Eagle 480 setting the sense and grayline but don't think they were biting anyway. Finally got it set to suit me and went looking for some new to me stumps. Found 3 spots that I put in my GPS and caught that other fish there, guess what I named that stump. Caught 9 more crappie and the flathead in the next 1 1/2 hrs. All hit a 1/8 oz jig with a chartruse tube. 25 lbs 2 ozs on my digital scales.

Proud Member of Team Geezer
    Southern Sickle Jigs Pro Staff

Post Thanks / Like

Man that flathead is some good eating, Bleed him out while still alive. Then get all the red out of the meat.
    Then all you have is clear white meat that is some kind of good.
    Makes me hungry.
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ShilohRed
    Man that flathead is some good eating, Bleed him out while still alive. Then get all the red out of the meat.
    Then all you have is clear white meat that is some kind of good.
    Makes me hungry.
    Pete
    I did and it took me 2 hrs to clean, got all the silver skin as well. About the only thing that come close in sweetwater I think is some fastwater spotted bass.

Post Thanks / Like

To make the job a lot less trouble. After skinning one. Place it in a fridge or freezer, And let the meat almost freeze. Then it easy to cut out all the bad stuff.
    Pete

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you found another little honeyhole! Good looking mess of fish you got there!
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Don G is offline Crappie.com Legend * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Great catch Steve...Looks like you got the 480 tuned in..Post back or PM me about the 480...How do you like it? The boat I just bought from a friend has a 480 Eagle...I am use to Garmins but willing to give it a try..Gerald C..gave me some feedback on his 320 today...He likes it very well...
    USS Intrepid CVS-11 Helicopter Squadron-3 1960-1964

When I keep my gratitude higher than my expectations I have a good day

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DonG
    Great catch Steve...Looks like you got the 480 tuned in..Post back or PM me about the 480...How do you like it? The boat I just bought from a friend has a 480 Eagle...I am use to Garmins but willing to give it a try..Gerald C..gave me some feedback on his 320 today...He likes it very well...
    Took me a couple of trips to get happy. Never used Garmin except my GPS 72, so don't know how they compare. My old units, still using one on the big motor are/were Eagle Ultra III which I really liked probably because I have so much seat time with them, I'm guessing they are at least 10 years or more in age. I have the 480 on my troll motor and tightline off the front and the first time I used the 480 the sense was so high my jigs almost blanked out the screen, make sure you turn off the fish pixs. Don't remember the value of my settings but I tuned the sense down to where I could still see my jigs and them move but they were not overpowering my screen. Then I played with my grayline, I like grayline, until I thought I had it were I could tell when I was over a stump, shows up black or mostly black. I tilt my tranducer forward a few degrees as I like to follow creeks and it is kind of like shining a flashlight forward to see where you are going, just don't go to far forward as it becomes difficult to read, just a little bit. Sometimes you can watch a crappie take your jig. Then you can turn your TM right or left and see if the creek drops off or the bank come up and it makes it easier to follow. Thats the way I do it anyway, may not work for others.

Post Thanks / Like

Very nice catch Steve. Some good eating there for sure. Ron

Post Thanks / Like

Nice bunch of fish, Steve! I wouldn't even complain about a whiskerfish
    like that - bet he pulled.
    Shoals Area Crappie Association