Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dragonfly try

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dragonfly try

Fished Merchants Millpond the other day, fish breaking the surface but wouldn`t take my "bugs" , on the surface or sub surface looked like they were hitting the little dragonflies..
    So at the suggestion of someone I tried tying some.....
    Float tested but not fish tested yet............... too hot for the old man out there !

This what the fish sees?

azslabber is offline Crappie.com 2K Star General * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Very cool.Can't wait till ya try them out.
    "Garden Hackler"lol

Post Thanks / Like

Man this is not right its unfair and cheating ya'll don't play fair,I don't want to fish with someone that uses stuff like that.Want be any fish for me to catch with my 2bit store bought stuff after the fish see some of ya'll stuff lol.

They look REAL good pat,they look great,maybe even one with the same amount of white stuff.At the second joint giving it a two wing look,some days you know how smart the fish can be.Not adding but taking half of the white stuff and puting it at the second joint.
    I'd never make it in the fishes world being a fish,I'd be a sucker for stuff like that lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Update:
    Another trip to the millpond and returned empty handed again ! Fish still breaking the surface but were`t interested in the dragonfly, the turtles wouldn`t leave it alone tho.
    Still can`t tell what is breaking water, bowfin? gar? too hot to venture out today , plan to go to the river tomorrow early AM before it gets too hot..
    A pic of the millpond

Post Thanks / Like

Thats the type places I fish,more than likey it was gar,this time of year places like that are hard to figure out.Noticed yesteraday the fish were only taking small little bitty stuff off the surface.Plus it the little stuff had to be still it could not have no action to it.I think a small little wooly bugger type fly with no legs cast let lay no movement could have caught some fish.However thats not my type fishing I change over to a small spinner type lure ponyhead 1/32,1/16,1/8 with curly tail grub and burn it thought the water colunm.

Post Thanks / Like

Love the tie, looks like a good damsel fly for sure and a descent dragon fly too. Better than anything I have ever tied as far as either bug for sure. One thing you might want to try is to get the head and main body to stay on top with the tail slightly under water like it is laying eggs or something.

Tying the wings on top might help too.

Once you get some movement on the water that should get a lot of takes and hook some nice fish. Maybe fish it really slow with a long rest and then a hard flutter struggle type action. Might trigger a fish to take it when it stops.
    I love taking my kids fishing, now if I could just manage to fish at the same time.

Post Thanks / Like

They look good I make them a little diffrent I use the foam strips under the thread for floating and can place the foam toward the front so the tail is under the water or I can not use foam and they slow sink And I use diffrent colors too !Name:  IMG00495-20101130-0839.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  50.2 KB
    Name:  IMG00496-20101130-0840.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  49.3 KB

Post Thanks / Like

Those are very nice Rob, well done!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by FlyRobLures View Post
    They look good I make them a little diffrent I use the foam strips under the thread for floating and can place the foam toward the front so the tail is under the water or I can not use foam and they slow sink And I use diffrent colors too !Name:  IMG00495-20101130-0839.jpg
Views: 704
Size:  50.2 KB
    Name:  IMG00496-20101130-0840.jpg
Views: 705
Size:  49.3 KB
    Very nice !
    Pat

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks !

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast