PDA

View Full Version : Screen Shot For Kicks (Picture)

skiptomylu
07-16-2010, 10:48 AM
Been trying to learn my 1197 better, but hard to do when I don't go enough. Anyway last time out I played with recording some and this was one spot I recorded and you can see the brush pile very well. I was going back and forth over this spot so some repeat from other direction.

Skip
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/Skip48/Screen%20Shots/New3B.jpg

Add one and think I turned around...
http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b47/Skip48/Screen%20Shots/New4.jpg

gabowman
07-16-2010, 07:28 PM
Wow! That's a different color from what I've seen before. I need ALOT of coaching before I'd ever learn those side imaging units.:eek::confused::o

skiptomylu
07-16-2010, 08:37 PM
Wow! That's a different color from what I've seen before. I need ALOT of coaching before I'd ever learn those side imaging units.:eek::confused::o

Just cut it in half and turn sideways and see the surface then at the top where the boat is.

OK look at this one to find your way. It has bridge pilings on both sides that cast a sonar shadow and the large area on the right side just off of center and near the pilings on the right side is all fish and I think probably Crappie.

You can also see where the boat is at the top middle. So turn you head sideways and just look at the boats path as the surface and just forget the left part is there.

Almost forgot the cloudy stuff middle left is just prop wash or something having to do with the motor.

I hope I am not making it worse, LOL!

Skip

JoeFish
07-16-2010, 09:02 PM
That gives me a headache trying to figure it out... But its like anythings else, you just got to understand it. Looks like valuable tool if you can learn it!

jeepguyjames
07-17-2010, 01:12 PM
thats my next planned purchase for my boat, I will prob end up w/the 898, but man I got to get me one of em, they are so nice. prob be fall by the time I save up the $$$$ but Im gettin there.

kb2112
07-17-2010, 01:21 PM
Wow, talk about a learning curve. I have the 788, and almost went for a side imaging, but couldnt justify the added expense for something I can barely read. I would love one though. Im almost sorry that I didn't go for it.

skiptomylu
07-17-2010, 01:24 PM
Really it doesn't take long to be able to read it and getting setting right is probably harder. I promise a little while on the water and you would be able to read it.

Skip

kb2112
07-17-2010, 01:26 PM
Feeling green!!! :D

I kayak fish allot, and using a small battery to power my electronics is a must. I imagine that they are power hungry! What is the power draw?

skiptomylu
07-17-2010, 03:17 PM
kb2112 I don't know, but will try to find out. Maybe they say it on the box so I will look for it.

Skip

kb2112
07-17-2010, 07:47 PM
Just curious, i will not be upgrading again for quite a while...

jaxsprat
07-17-2010, 08:46 PM
Feeling green!!! :D

I kayak fish allot, and using a small battery to power my electronics is a must. I imagine that they are power hungry! What is the power draw?

The amp draw is not that bad. When I was switching my 997 between boats I would power it with a Cabelas Rechargeable 12 volt DC Battery 8.0 AH. This battery will last for 6 to 8 hours before needing charge. As per side site I was told normal-average draw of 997 is 0.5 to 0.7 amp per hour. The only time 997 would pull over 1.0 was during download of new updates. Note these figures are couple years old so before the latest down loads RE down images etc.
The Cabelas battery is the same one the ice fishing guys use to power their 997 on ice, cold weather they usually get 4/5 hours run. Batt size is 6" L by 2 3/4" wide by almost 4"tall. On sale they sell for $19.99 plus $2.00 charger? or charger came with????? Getting too old to remember.

kb2112
07-18-2010, 04:42 AM
That's not bad, thought it was worse. That is the same size battery that I use on the kayak. I also use it to power my flasher when I on the ice.

I can get several 4-5 hour trips out of a single charge with my 788ci, which is handy when a recharge is difficult. I usually keep a spare battery in the car on extended camping trips.

TN Hillbilly
07-18-2010, 11:12 AM
The si units look complicated but in reality it's much easier to figure out what you're looking at than with conventional 2d sonar. That's the point of it really. As far as tweaking the units settings, you're pretty much good to go right out of the box with factory defaults.