Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Reelfoot Fishing

rmhall Guest

Default Reelfoot Fishing

I'm planning on fishing Reelfoot this spring - any info on favorite resorts/packages will be appreciated. Also, is March or April the best fishing?

Post Thanks / Like

rmhall
    I am from KY but looking through the TN board for info on Reelfoot lake myself. I booked a trip a few weeks ago at the Blue Bank Resort. Talked with a nice lady at the Cincinnati Sport and Travel Show. She called the home base on her cell phone right then and there. Sent my $200.00 deposit (myself and my brother) the following day. Going down Mid April. From what i have researched and read on multiple forums this is during the end of the spawn or maybe after it for crappie. Bluegill are getting cranked up at that time as are the Bass. I figured that having all three species to fish for would add quality to my first experience on that lake. I did pick up a fishing and boating map which will aide tremendously. The only real issue i have seen with the lake is the stumps and its very shallow water. (average 5.5 ft). All of the resorts i looked at provide lodging, boat, bait, ice, etc. each day. THe boats are jon boats with a small outboard. I am taking my own and saving $20.00 off the package price. I understand Reelfoot to be one of the best crappie lakes in the country, with huge numbers and great quality. I can't wait.
    Mistertwister
    Here crappie, crappie, crappie, crappie......:D :D :D

East TN, Douglas,Cherokee,Watuga and South Holston
    Post Thanks / Like

I fished reelfoot three springs in a row we always go last weekend in in march
    we stay at cyprus point resort great place to stay we fish lower blue basin
    water at the deepest is probably 20ft at this time of year wind is usually blowing pretty hard we usually drift for crappie using 17 pound line
    with a 1/2 egg sinker above a hook and minnow sinker size depends on
    wind speed drop down to bottom ad reel up a turn or so caught a lot of crappie doing this watch out for the stumps we took a trolling motor and battery in case the wind didn't blow which is rare. also a portable fish finder
    very useful in locating fish
    Speck

Real men troll for crappie (Here Fishy Fishy !)

Post Thanks / Like

Hello all,

Well, I guess you could say this was my home lake. I grew up on this lake and started fishing it when I was about 10yrs old. Mister Twister, I see you are taking your boat but you did not say what type of boat? Just one word of caution. If you do not know the lake go slow...real slow. I have seen way too many people lose their lower units, transom and motors, or wind up in the lake themselves. Be aware the times you are going the weekends the lake will be extremely crowded. People will run over you if you are catching fish...lol. If the wind is coming from the north forget fishing on Cypress point side. Go around the lake to an area called Champions Pocket. This will be the only place to fish and it is usually not the best but beats hanging around the resorts. If you need any info give a shout. Have a great time.

Post Thanks / Like

crappie ranger,
    you are just the person i have been looking for. First, to answer your question. I live in an area of small lakes, most of which have horsepower restrictions. Therefore, i have a Pro Team 175 with a 9.9 mercury, ordered it that way and picked it up at springfield. I like all of the comforts of a bass boat even though the five lakes i fish have a 10hp limit. I don't think that it will go fast enough to do any significant damage, that said, i use it just to get my rig to and from the spots i intend to fish, besides, i like to take in all of the surroundings. I do have a Fishing Hot Spots map and clearly see that the lake is full of obstacles, which to me interprets into great fishing.

What about this wind? i have heard many stories about it and honestly, i am unfamiliar with it. I am a student of fishing in general and eager to learn anything i can to make the most of my trip. Any other advice you could give for mid april would be appreciated.
    THanks!
    Mistertwister
    Here crappie, crappie, crappie, crappie......:D :D :D

Post Thanks / Like

I Have Never Fished There Would You Recommend A Guide For The First Time Or Just Go Exploring For Yourselves

Post Thanks / Like

Default Guide Shmide...

Send me email, I'll save you some $ and get you same or better results.

Post Thanks / Like

Mister Twister,

The motor is fine and so is the boat. I have a 60hp motor and get through just fine but I know the lake. If the motor is a slip clutch prop then no worries but if it is shear pins make sure you have extra pins on board.

About the wind, Reelfoot and that area is very flat and very much in what we call the river bottoms. This means no tall banks. Remember this lake was formed by earthquake. Big hole in a flat bottom opens up and the river fills it. That is about the long and short of it. So small wind which would not effect most lakes will have Reelfoot white capping. Just remember if it is in the north, drive around and put in Champions pocket. If it is in the west or south you can fish most all of the blue bank and cyprus point area. If it is east or northeast.... Go shopping or drinking...lol.

Mid april may be a little late for the big rush of spawn but if it is you will be perfect for bluegill. I have seen cold fronts push the main spawn until mid april. Write me or PM me around march and I can tell you what is going on. My father will be there from first of March till June camping and fishing. Sort of crazy because he lives just 30 miles away.?? Oh, most people fish Bream around Kirbys Pocket or on the other side of Rat Island where the pads are.

Hope this helps. For Fishcatcher if you read this any guides at any of the resorts will be good. Most are kin to one another anyway. I think some of the best if you can get him is at a bait store on the lake called Bo's Landing. Not much to look at there but they been around for a very long time.

Let me know if ya need anything else.
    Good luck