Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Boat Motor Hours/ The Best Motor

Post Thanks / Like

Default Boat Motor Hours/ The Best Motor

I'm in the market for a used boat and I was just wondering how many hours on a used boat motor is considered alot. I know that it would really depend on the particular model of the boat and motor, so I will throw this at ya. Im looking to purchase around a 2004-2007 boat with around a 225hp or 250hp motor. One that I'm looking at is a 2004 with 321hrs. is this alot or around average for engine hrs. on that yr. model motor?

My other question is what brand engine(Mercury, Yamaha, Envirude, Johnson) is the best in this horsepower and year model range, as far as fuel milage, oil usage and so on?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by swampdaddy View Post
    I'm in the market for a used boat and I was just wondering how many hours on a used boat motor is considered alot. I know that it would really depend on the particular model of the boat and motor, so I will throw this at ya. Im looking to purchase around a 2004-2007 boat with around a 225hp or 250hp motor. One that I'm looking at is a 2004 with 321hrs. is this alot or around average for engine hrs. on that yr. model motor?

My other question is what brand engine(Mercury, Yamaha, Envirude, Johnson) is the best in this horsepower and year model range, as far as fuel milage, oil usage and so on?
    What brand motor is the one you're looking at?

Post Thanks / Like

Mercury Optimax 250 Pro XS

Post Thanks / Like

To me thats pretty low, I have a Optimax 08 200 with 160 hours. I would make sure you had a compression test done and scope the cylinders and reeds. All brands had problems with certain models and years. I know mercury had trouble 1999-2001 optimaxs. Evinrude had some trouble with older ficht motors. Average life of motor is 2000 hours or more, just depends on how it was ran. That 04 should have a smartcraft, which has the onboard computer which can be hooked up and print out on how the motor was ran.
    Ted
    Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night will keep me from crappie fishing!
    2010 Lake of the Ozarks Super Slab Champion

Post Thanks / Like

For a merk or yami that's about normal hours. I would take it to my mechanic and have the computer ran. The print out will tell you how hard the engine was used. If I purchased it I would have all plugs replaced and the lower unit fluid changed along with water impeller and thermostats, and a new fuel supply line and pump ball, and fuel filter. I can just about promise you that these items need changed.
    On my engine I change the plugs and lower fluid annually, and the water pump and thermostats every other year