Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: HT SHOOTING STAR TELESCOPIC/w Guides

Post Thanks / Like

Default HT SHOOTING STAR TELESCOPIC/w Guides

Has anyone tried these to spider rig with? Grizzly baits has them cheap along with the small reels. Looks like a good setup for the money but dont want to buy something that won't last. They run about a dollar per foot and the reels are about 6 dollars.These are telescopic poles with guides and reel seat. Appreciate any input.
    Last edited by brobrash; 07-15-2010 at 12:34 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I had some of them. They worked ok. I got rid of them because I got tired of the collapsing process. It was easier for me to break down a two piece rod. The rods worked well though, good backbone and fairly sensive tip for a fiberglass. I don't remember which model was which, but if I was buying them again, I wouldn't get the one with the foam handle. Too hard to get out of the racks that I was using.

Post Thanks / Like

I used to use some of them, caught a lot of fish on 'em, they're just bulky at the base and I don't like collapsing. Grizzly's got the pinnacle 12 footers for like 13 a piece, I've got some of them they work great! I like bigger reels cuz I use heavy line, and little "crappie" reels aren't rated for it, but that's just me!
    I clever quip fishing ironic statement crappie!

Post Thanks / Like

I use the 12' and the 10' for long line trolling out of the front of the boat. They have worked great for me and have landed some 21" walleye with no problems. I kind of like them telescoping makes them very easy to transport. I found that when extending them, it's easier to start at the small end and pull out each section to align to eyelets.
    Likes Attack123 LIKED above post

gabowman is offline Super Moderator * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd go with reels that have a drag on 'em. I think you can get some fairly good shimano reels for like $10 apiece that will work better than the little plastic fly-rod looking wind up reels if those are the ones youre talking about. When you hang a jig while trolling you want something with a drag that will slip until youre able to see about that rod in case you have another rod in your hands.
    Health nuts are going to feel stupid someday, lying in hospitals dying of nothing.

Post Thanks / Like

SHIMANO IX 2000R and 1000R are the best reel for the price that you will find. Monk's has them for $12.95. They have a very adequate drag and are smooth and trouble free.
    Don't outsmart your common sense!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Appreciate the input. I have the BnM pro series trolling rods and I have broken several transporting them. Should I put something on the rod to prevent it from binding and causing the sections to stik together? I have been using smaller trigger spincast reels and they work ok so guess I will keep them. I have raised the pole for a hookset and have hit the trigger by fat fingering the rod and lost fish but other than that they work ok.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you'll need anything for that. I didn't have any trouble anyhow.