Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0

Thread: Been invited

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Been invited

too join my grandson, who is at Tom Hale Boy Scout Camp in Ok., for a overnight campout with him and my son. My son is a scout Leader and I am a Committee member of the same Troop my grandson is in. My Daughter said that may be first for us, because we are 3 generation in Scouting at the same time.:D

Post Thanks / Like

That is quite an honor to be invited to a scout camp. I have been to a few of them and they are a lot of fun. It teaches the young men to be self reliant and be-able to fend for themselves. Have fun and let us know how it went when you get back. EB
    DO-GOODER EXTRADINAR :p

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fun

Quote Originally Posted by Eager Beaver View Post
    That is quite an honor to be invited to a scout camp. I have been to a few of them and they are a lot of fun. It teaches the young men to be self reliant and be-able to fend for themselves. Have fun and let us know how it went when you get back. EB
    We joined the Troop at 4:30 P.M. 7-15-2010. Visited with the Leaders and the Boys for awhile. Had supper at 5P.M. at Mess Hall. Friday we were up (my son and me) at 5 A.M. went to Mess Hall for Coffee. Friday my Grandson earned a merit badge in Archery (5 arrows in bulls eye). also earned merit badge in Horsemanship, and Environmental Science. At noon friday me, my son, and grandson took in some trail ridding on horseback. One thing that cought my attention was all the handycaped yougsters doing the same as the other boys. We went home on Friday afternoon as the troop finshed there stay.:D

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like you had a busy time at camp. My most memorable camp was map reading and using a compass. They had several way points set up and they had to use a compass to find them. It was quite a bit of fun since I was still in the service and was using a compass quite a bit. I was asked to help teach them about compass reading and then go in the field and actually show them how to use it. It was a memory I will always have and enjoy about scouting. EB

Post Thanks / Like

Congrats and sounds like oyu had a great time.

I got the honor of attending boy scout camps every summer for 15 years straight. Both my sons were in scouts, and me being the leader I took a weeks vacation to go with them every year. Had a ball and enjoyed every minute of every day. We also went to camps in different states to change things up.

They will both be gradutaing from college within the next year. Funny thing is most of thier friends spent the first couple years in college not having a clue about "what tehy want to be when they grow up".

Merit badges are an introduction into careers. There is over a 100 merit badges to choose from, have fun...
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Quick, someone teach me how to fish so I can win this tournament!!!

Post Thanks / Like

My grandson is on a scout camping retreat this week-end. EB

Post Thanks / Like

I hope he has fun.
    HOI Crappie Club
    Where family and friends come to compete for a little more than bragging rights.

Post Thanks / Like

He came back burnt to a crisp. He evidently had his shirt off and didn't use any Sunscreen. He is a fair skinned kid. That is not what you would expect from a scouting trip. Someone dropped the ball on this one. EB

Post Thanks / Like

Default Scouts

My son just came back from a week at the Cherokee Boy Scout Reservation in North Carolina. It is his 2nd year in the Boy Scouts since he crossed over from Cubs. He was the Cub Scout of the year his 2nd year of Wheblos. That is an honer and something that he will always remember. His name is on a plaque in the scout room.

After camp he looked like he has been beat. Bruises all over him. I asked if someone beat him and he said no, he said getting his canoe merit badge was hard. He had to jump out of a canoe and then get back in. He said it was hard and that is where he got most of the bruises. He loved it and never thought canoeing was a contact sport.

We are leaving this Saturday for Washington, DC. The Troop is touring Washington and then visiting the National Jamboree at Ft AP Hill, VA. We are looking forward to it!!!

Scouting has been great for my oldest son. My youngest son is getting ready to start Tiger Scouts. I hope he loves it like his brother.

My hats off to all the leaders. I admire their patients with these boys.

Darin

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Eager Beaver View Post
    He came back burnt to a crisp. He evidently had his shirt off and didn't use any Sunscreen. He is a fair skinned kid. That is not what you would expect from a scouting trip. Someone dropped the ball on this one. EB
    You figure by time the kid is 11 years old he knows all about sunscreen, especially if he is a fair skinned kid. After all mom no doubt has been putting it on him most of his life becuase she doesnt want to see him burn. Unfortunately, once mom isnt around he doesnt do it, becuase mom isnt there to hound him about it. Mom dropped the ball. She loves him too much and does everything for him. TEll her to stop that. :D

Besides, if he is like 90% of first year Scouts, he spent every waking moment at the pool/lake without a shirt. Seen it happen numerous times, crispy critters on day one. You can warn them, tell them, even provide the Sunscreen and watch them put it on the first time in the am, again at lunch, and again at dinner. Even tell him to wear his shirt all day. However once the day begins its up to the kid to follow instructions. At some point in his life he must become responsible for himself. Typically the kids whose parents do everything for them learn the hardest lessons, in some cases they are painfull, and some are expensive.

I'd be willing to bet he had a great time anyways.
    HOI Crappie Club