Likes Likes:  0
Thanks Thanks:  0
HaHa HaHa:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: xbox or playstation????

docwaldo is offline Moderator LA Forum * Crappie.com Supporter
    Post Thanks / Like

Default xbox or playstation????

anyone have any thoughts on which is better? i am gonna get one for my mancave upstairs and wanted some advice on which yall think would be a better investment.

thanks,

doc
    Any man can be a father, but it takes a real man to be a DAD!!

Post Thanks / Like

Neither!
    Get a fly-tying bench, vice, etc, and spend your time creating sac-a-lait jigs instead of playing around. Also, you might want a good CD player and a few Jimmy Buffet CD's for background music. :D
    Pete

Post Thanks / Like

We have both & a nintendo wii....I dont touch either,but seems the kids never leave to far from them!
    I agree wif sneakypete...forget the game consoles (as the games cost enough to buy a rod & reel neway) & invest in some fishin related stuff!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sneakypete View Post
    Neither!
    Get a fly-tying bench, vice, etc, and spend your time creating sac-a-lait jigs instead of playing around. Also, you might want a good CD player and a few Jimmy Buffet CD's for background music. :D
    Pete
    this is for my girls. they are really not into things like madden '10 or the like. just didn't know if anyone had any suggestions. i already have the fly tying bench, just don't seem to have the time to ever sit at it. hehehe

Quote Originally Posted by Bluegilll View Post
    We have both & a nintendo wii....I dont touch either,but seems the kids never leave to far from them!
    I agree wif sneakypete...forget the game consoles (as the games cost enough to buy a rod & reel neway) & invest in some fishin related stuff!
    thanks for the input. i will try to convince my wife that a new wally marshall rod (or two) is a better investment than one of the aforementioned game consoles.

doc

Post Thanks / Like

my grandson brought over his Wii and got me started on bowling which I loved years ago......also tried the race cars and tennis (tennis is not my game).....I really loved it enough to get one for myself just for bowling.....don't know anything about the other 2............
    The "King" is coming
    This could be the Day....
    RETIRED LOUISIANA CRAPPIE HUNTER

Post Thanks / Like

we have a wii and a nintendo gamecube. we love to all play the mario cart car racing. but i hear that the xbox and ps3 or ps4 have some really cool shoot-em-up games. i love to blow stuff up.

doc

Post Thanks / Like

The xbox and PS3 are very different machines. They can play a lot of the same game titles but then each company has their own unique titles that you can only play on that machine. Like xbox for example has the Halo games that you can only play on xbox and then PS3 has titles like the ratchet and clank games that only can be played on PS3.

If your looking at it from a media standpoint the PS3 sort of beats out the xbox. The xbox can play dvd's but the PS3 can play Blu Ray movies and dvd's too. The xbox can be hooked up wirelessly to your internet connection but you have to buy an adapter that costs $100 more, however the PS3 comes with Wifi built in so theres nothing else to buy.

Each system only comes with one controller so you have to buy an extra one if you want to play with 2 people. The controllers for both systems cost around $45 each. You can buy cheaper wired controllers but I prefer the wireless bluetooth controllers on my PS3. They work anywhere in the house and you don't have to point them at the PS3 like you do the old tv remotes.

Around the holidays especially Black Friday after thanksgiving they will offer special edition PS3's and xboxes. Usually in these special editions you get an extra controller and one or 2 games that they throw in. Also the PS3 and xbox elite have hard drives like computers do so you can download games off their websites as well as buy the titles in the store.

There is no PS4 just the PS3. Also there are 2 different types of Xboxes out there. There is the regular xbox and then there is the xbox elite. If you can afford it then go with the PS3 or the elite. Don't buy the regular xbox version. It's outdated already and the new xbox elites and the PS3's are slated to be the main gaming systems for another 3 years.

I am a huge gamer and I beta test new games for companies all the time. I own just about every system out there and I love each one in its own way. If you ask me which I prefer out of the xbox and the PS3 I have to go with the PS3.
    Heres why:
    PS3 gives you a free Blu Ray player built in.
    PS3 has built in Wifi
    PS3 has slightly better graphics capability for future game releases

Now xbox's graphics abilities are about equal to the PS3's right now but if these 2 systems truly stick around as the main sellers for Sony and Microsoft for the next three years then the PS3 will eventually surpass the xbox in ability. Games get more and more realistic with each passing year and the processor in the PS3 is a bit more up to date than the xbox's. So in the future as games get more graphically intense the PS3 will look better.

I will say this about playing with 4 players on one of these systems. You'll need a big TV. I have a 60 inch tv and we all sit on the couch and we pull the TV up so it's about 4 feet from us and we turn the lights off and crank up the surround sound. It's the most intense thing you've ever experienced especially when your playing a game driving a tank and the surround sound is so great you can feel the rumble of the tank as it moves and when the big gun fires the base thumps right through your body and you scream hell yeah!
    I purposely put my TV on a cart that rolls just so I can move it around when my friends come over.

Now my brother plays on a 42inch tv and although the effect is not as great it's still a lot of fun. I have my eye on the Sony 80 inch but my wife says I can't buy it until my current tv dies
    Everytime we have a bad thunderstorm I pray lightning strikes my TV :D

As far as Shoot em up games they each have plenty of those. Halo is probably one of the most popular and thats available only on xbox but you can get some games for both systems like: Call of Duty, Borderlands, Resistance 2 Fall of Man, Infamous, Battlefield, Tom Clancy's Rainbow 6, oh and don't forget the best all time shoot em up western that was just released "Red Dead Redemption" which got Steller reviews by all the big game companies and was instanly a best seller.

There are hundreds of action packed games for the xbox and the PS3, you won't be disappointed with either system.

Now if you hope to get your wife to play games then you better get a nintendo wii cause girls seem to like the more cartoonish style of wii games like Mario. I must admit I still love playing nintendo too once in a while and the wii has a lot of games that the family can participate in together. Like Mario cart, bowling, etc. It really is a lot of fun and I have seen 80 year old grandmas smile and get exicited over the wii. It's very user friendly and not complicated at all.

The PS3 and Xbox games can get a bit complicated until you learn all the moves etc. On some really intense games it might take me and my friends an hour just to get all the keys down for what does what. Like take for instance a game like Resistance 2 where your character has multiple guns he can use and multiple types of moves. It takes a while to figure out what every key on the controller does for that particular character and theres a lot of keys & different combinations.
    You have to learn how to make him jump, crouch, strafe left and right, use his sniper scope, grenades, switch weapons, use his knife, target your allies, target your enemies, open doors, flip electrical switches, pick up ammo and supplies, climb ladders, swim a lake or river, bring up your map, save your game, etc etc.

Be warned these systems aren't cheap and neither are the games. I paid $378for my PS3 plus tax, bought 3 extra wireless bluetooth controllers for $45 each, and I own about 24 games at $50 each. I bought a skin for my PS3 for $20, a stand to make it sit up and get better ventilation so it can last longer($30), a keyboard for $20, a Blue Ray remote for $15, and as you can see I have like $1800 invested in this thing so far. Now to be honest I didn't buy all those games at once. I usually buy 1 a month but sometimes more if a hot title gets released and I can't wait to play it.

Now you can cut down on the price by buying your games used at Gamestop and trading in old games for store credit towards purchases of new ones. However I like to have a nice collection of games so I don't trade mine in when I'm done playing them. I like for my friends to come over and be able to browse my collection and see what they want to play.

Edit: I just checked and the newest version of the xbox elite with the 250gb hard drive does have wifi buit into it straight from the factory. Thats good news as the old xboxs made you buy a $100 component to get wifi. So the newer xboxs are finally getting in line with the ps3's.

If you have any questions about gaming systems please ask me anytime.

Post Thanks / Like

wow M&M. that was AWESOME info. i had heard that the ps3 had a bluray. and after your advice, i think that is the way i will mostlikely go. my wife was reading over my shoulder, and she agrees. thanks again for the info,

mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by docwaldo View Post
    this is for my girls. they are really not into things like madden '10 or the like.
    doc
    Quote Originally Posted by docwaldo View Post
    we have a wii and a nintendo gamecube. we love to all play the mario cart car racing. but i hear that the xbox and ps3 or ps4 have some really cool shoot-em-up games. i love to blow stuff up.

doc
    Ok now Mark, you are talking in circles...lol.. first it's for the girls, and now it's for you to blow stuff up....lol... Just giving you a hard time..

I can't give you any advice on either, my kids were up to date on them til they got bored with them. Last one we bought for them was a few years ago. Since then they came out with the ps3 and the wii and we didn't get either.
    You can't fish with a hung line!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd echo everything M&M said. If I were to go buy one right now I'd be on the fence, but I'm a long time HALO fan and like the Xbox control scheme. I got burnt by xbox twice back when they had the big red ring of death problem. I haven't had one since my last one killed over last year. I'm hungry for another one! And If you're just wanting to blow stuff up go by Grand Theft Auto and throw in a few cheat codes. You can blow tons of stuff up all day like then lol
    -Austin a.k.a. Ox

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast